• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Being around rabbits with myxi

Alicia

Mama Doe
At college we are moved round in groups onto different sections (birds, kennels, small mammals, farm and exotics) and I'm on small mammals now, and there are a lot of rabbits. I was cleaning out some of the rabbit pens today and I walked past one pen, which had a sign on the door that said that only students from kennels or birds can go in there, because the rabbits in there had myxi. There is also a lovely little dutch bunny there who has had myxi but doesn't have it anymore.
Is there any risk to my rabbits just from me being near these rabbits? I haven't actually touched them or been in their pens but I just wanted to find out if there is a risk.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware myxi is spread by biting insects so you should be fine, although I'd probably make sure you disinfected your hands etc prior to contact with your buns.

I thought myxomatosis could be spread by fleas? so while I can see it is unlikely, I'm guessing it is not impossible for a flea to hitch a lift on the someone's clothing and be transferred from infected bunnies in one place to someone's home bunnies in another.

Frankly (as I said) I suspect it's very unlikely but I can't see why it's impossible.

They can get it from a myxi buns discharge not just biting insects so I wouldn't touch this myxi rabbit, and maybe change when you get home just to be cautious

No there is no risk with myxi and you being near them.
Myxi is transfered via biting insects. Its VHD that can be carried on humans clothes etc.
I would say general hygine should be enough.

I thought Myxi could be passed on from insects AND direct contact with a infected rabbit, althought the second is apparently rare :?

I would have thought if you are not coming in actual contact with the infected buns it shouldn't be a problem. Even so I would change into different clothes before handleing your own bunnies

I agree - discharge & biting insects - so fleas.

When I had myxi here, I just had a different set of clothes & washed my hands between buns:D

I would just make sure that you have a change of clothes and make sure you wash your hands before you go near your rabbits, but as you don't have any actual contact with the myxi buns the risk is minimal.
As others have said Myxi is spread by biting insects and direct contact with the discharge.
If you're really worried then you can always explain to your college that you would prefer not to have contact with the myxi buns to minimise the risk :wave:

Back