• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a rescue even consider me?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
:wave:

I always think about the future and when one of my bunnies passes away. :cry: I would prefer to get a rescue rabbit to bond with the remaining one. Would a rescue even consider me with my accommodation?

Hutch: 6ft x 2ft x 2ft
Run unattached: 7ft x 5ft x 2ft

The rabbits are put into the run from 7am - 7pm in winter and 7am - 9pm in summer.

I wouldn't change my setup for various reasons.

I imagine they might request a larger run, or a run attached - is there absolutely no way of doing either? You could attach your hutch to the run via a tunnel if they cant be near each other, which gives them more shelter and 12sqft extra space during run-time.

I imagine they would consider you, but depending on their rehoming policy they may want certain changes. I wouldnt consider your setup a bad one, not ideal but I'm sure there are reasons.

edit: actually, as long as they can go in the run whatever the weather, so it has adequate shelter, you would only be 1sqft off of a lot of rescues rehoming policies, as some still use the 6x2 attached to 6x4 old reccommendation, which is 36sqft, and your run is 35sqft. With that hutch+run youd get a sqft or 2 taken up by the ramp anyway, so you may *just* meet their requirements.

Last edited:
I imagine they might request a larger run, or a run attached - is there absolutely no way of doing either? You could attach your hutch to the run via a tunnel if they cant be near each other, which gives them more shelter and 12sqft extra space during run-time.

I imagine they would consider you, but depending on their rehoming policy they may want certain changes. I wouldnt consider your setup a bad one, not ideal but I'm sure there are reasons.

edit: actually, as long as they can go in the run whatever the weather, so it has adequate shelter, you would only be 1sqft off of a lot of rescues rehoming policies, as some still use the 6x2 attached to 6x4 old reccommendation, which is 36sqft, and your run is 35sqft. With that hutch+run youd get a sqft or 2 taken up by the ramp anyway, so you may *just* meet their requirements.

No. I have thought about the runaround tunnel but there is no way to attach them both without blocking a pathway. Also, there is not enough space for them to be attached (via hutch sitting on top of run). The run is also the largest we can fit. So there is absolutely no way the set up can be changed (and I have thought about it a lot).

What's bad about your set up? Rabbits have died by having access to the run at night. Unless it's dig proof so foxes cant get in (cement or something buried under the perimeter of the run) then rabbits should be locked in the hutch at night. If they want to run around at night they can run around in the hutch, but I'd imagine they would get used to this schedule and mainly sleep at night.

I'm shocked rescues don't require this. I wouldn't adopt from a rescue stupid enough to not see the dangers of access to the run at night. They're suppose to be ensuring a good home to the rabbits they adopt out.

the run is covered so they can go out whatever the weather and they do have a box in there for warmth and security.

What's bad about your set up? Rabbits have died by having access to the run at night. Unless it's dig proof so foxes cant get in (cement or something buried under the perimeter of the run) then rabbits should be locked in the hutch at night. If they want to run around at night they can run around in the hutch, but I'd imagine they would get used to this schedule and mainly sleep at night.

I'm shocked rescues don't require this. I wouldn't adopt from a rescue stupid enough to not see the dangers of access to the run at night. They're suppose to be ensuring a good home to the rabbits they adopt out.

Thats why rescues perform home checks, to check for suitability of accomodation. A non-fox proof run is not suitable for example, yet someone who has dug mesh down into the ground, then laid turf on top etc is.

You're buns seem very much loved & well cared for. Yes, it might not be the 'perfect' set up but I wouldn't say it was cramped or anything!

Glad you have changed your stance on rescues :thumb: to be honest I can't see the problem with your set up :wave:

No. I have thought about the runaround tunnel but there is no way to attach them both without blocking a pathway. Also, there is not enough space for them to be attached (via hutch sitting on top of run). The run is also the largest we can fit. So there is absolutely no way the set up can be changed (and I have thought about it a lot).

I know you've said you've thought about it a lot but have you considered putting the runaround tunnel over the path, then getting an ornamental bridge thing to go over the tunnel so you can still walk there?

Rabbits have died by having access to the run at night. Unless it's dig proof so foxes cant get in (cement or something buried under the perimeter of the run) then rabbits should be locked in the hutch at night.

Rabbits haven't died from having access to their runs, they've died because their runs weren't secure. All rescues I know of require runs to be on cement or mesh.

OP, I imagine some of the rescues on here would consider you because they know you're reliable and put the buns in their run every day. If you do find you're rejected and don't want to support pet shops or breeders there's always preloved etc where you can still give a bun a second chance. :)

Rabbits haven't died from having access to their runs, they've died because their runs weren't secure. All rescues I know of require runs to be on cement or mesh.

That's what I meant, I said "Unless it's dig proof so foxes cant get in (cement or something buried under the perimeter of the run) then rabbits should be locked in the hutch at night."

Fact is a lot of people don't put mesh/cement underneath the run and some rescues allow that.

Fact is a lot of people don't put mesh/cement underneath the run and some rescues allow that.
What rescues? :?
I wouldn't say "a lot" of people who have a hutch/run or shed/run combo would have their run just on grass. Aside from anything most people want to keep their rabbits in their run.

How about a tunnel under your path? somebody else on here has done it. I'd be wary about having the tunnel too long - in case a bun gets ill under there - you need to be able to reach from one end or the other (or remove a paving stone quickly etc)

That's what I meant, I said "Unless it's dig proof so foxes cant get in (cement or something buried under the perimeter of the run) then rabbits should be locked in the hutch at night."

I totally don't think buns should be locked away at night. My buns are more active on an evening/early morning

Only thing I can think of that would be a problem is that the run's unattached and if they were my rabbits I'd want the run a bit bigger. But I'm not a rescue, it all depends on what the rescue's requirements are for whether they would rehome to you.

We aren't a rehoming centre, so only take in the odd rabbit for rehoming in an emergency situation...but we would definitely rehome to that set-up provided that the hutch and run were in a safe/secure condition :D :wave:

Off topic but this means you are in effect calling me stupid and that I may be with regard to other areas of my life but not with rehoming. I have some of the most stringent homecheck requirements going and I actually like to see rabbits that have access to safe housing 24/7. If it's safe during the day then it's safe at night; the only thing that changes is the lack of light - predators are the same regardless.

Last edited:

Out of order.

the dangers of access to the run at night.

Would you mind outlining for me what these dangers are? I'm interested to hear why my rabbits shouldn't have 24/7 access to their perfectly secure accommodation all the time and hence why I'm stupid as an owner for allowing them access and why three rescues were stupid enough to allow me to adopt their animals on that basis?

Back