• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My unexpected water feature bunny drinking fountain!!!

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
My mum in law gave us her water feature this weekend as shes downsizing and wont have a garden where shes going, lovely idea, lets put it in the rabbit garden.

So hubby drilled a hole through to put the electric through, bunny proofed the wire, kids filled it with stones and shells, looks great.

Had it running all day yesterday, switched it off at bedtime and cos I work during the week didnt switch it on this morning.

I have come home to find Ozzie and Twinkle paws up on the side lapping away!! They have a bottle and a bowl in the shed but oh no this is much better. Now its only about an inch deep so even if they go paddling they wont come to any harm but my concern is them drinking the water.

Darent tell my hubby I think I may have made a mistake!!! Do I need to be concerned them drinking the water?

I think someone mentioned a water fountain for the rabbits a while ago and it was advised against, the water's going to easily get dirty cycling around and around again out in the open

Yes thats my thoughts but didnt think about it when MIL offered it to us, just pondering puting some chicken wire or similar around it so I can appreciate it but the buns cant drink from it. My hubby is going to be so happy! not! or the other option will be to raise it up out of their reach. blooming bunnies!!!

Its a massive thing it took 3 watering cans to fill it theres like an big urn thingy that the water spout is in then it trickles down the front of the urn into a big roundish bit, I think I will empty it for now and then wait till hubby has got over his hissy fit of me getting it wrong

Its a massive thing it took 3 watering cans to fill it theres like an big urn thingy that the water spout is in then it trickles down the front of the urn into a big roundish bit, I think I will empty it for now and then wait till hubby has got over his hissy fit of me getting it wrong

Oh, in my head I only saw a small thing. :lol:

I think most water features have a filter in them which filters out dirt, algae & single celled animal life. I couldn't use one to help to oxygenate my wild life pond for this reason.

If it has a good filter, & you change it regularly, I think it should be OK, but always leave some tap water for your buns.

I just never thought of them drinking it! silly me, blond strikes again. Think I may raise it up above bunny height. just dont want the buns to get an upset tummy. have to say though they looked so cute sat with front paws on the side having a drink, aww

As long as they have access to fresh water which they obviously will, I wouldn't see a problem. My rabbits drink out of all sorts of muddy puddles of water i the garden like in the back of a toy dumper truck. I am sure if it tasted off they would go back to the hutch for a drink.

As long as they have access to fresh water which they obviously will, I wouldn't see a problem. My rabbits drink out of all sorts of muddy puddles of water i the garden like in the back of a toy dumper truck. I am sure if it tasted off they would go back to the hutch for a drink.

I agree with this. Rabbits don't really like stale water as far as I'm aware. As soon as I put a fresh bowl down in the evening my two rush to it. It's probably just because it's new. You know what rabbits are like. They'll be bored of it soon enough. It can't really harm them can it? It's just water and it's running so won't go stagnant.

I've never had fish, but I would imagine that you could get some type of testing kit to check if the water is suitable for keeping coy carp or gold fish. If the water could support fish then I would imagine it would be quite safe for rabbits. Of course that's just my wild and totally uninformed theory.

Back