• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Front tooth dental rabbit - Not eating around time of tooth file

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi my rabbit Scruffy has had dental issues with his front teeth coming up for three year in January. Well something i have noticed is when near the time he needs a tooth file he has an off day where he just lays down a lot and doesn't appear to eat or drink anything for a while. He is booked in for Wednesday to have them filed and guess what he is doing today. He is doing his behaviour of not eating. He definitely was alright last night when we covered the rabbits for the night and this morning before feeding he was running around excited. We felt around his jaw for any signs of lumps and found none. I'm just wondering if we should try the pineapple juice thing again. We have done it before as all the rabbits are moulting and apparently it helps them pass poop if any fur has been eaten while grooming. Has anyone else had a dental rabbit behave like this? He hasn't done this for 4 months now so i am worried but like i say it is usually around tooth file time and i think he is a bit depressed as when the teeth grow he eats more with his head up as he is finding it difficult to eat.

Should we try the pineapple juice? We were going to put him out in the run as usually when he goes back he eats right away from his food bowl. We have some recovery as well.

Sounds as though he is in pain :cry:

I would call the Vet and ask for him to be seen this afternoon, as he has known Incisor problems he may also have problems with his molars (cheek teeth) now too. There may be soft tissue damage in his mouth and/or he may be getting pain in his jaw caused by elongated tooth roots.

I really would not delay obtaining Vet treatment for him today, especially pain relief. Pineapple Juice wont help him at all.

Good luck

Sounds as though he is in pain :cry:

I would call the Vet and ask for him to be seen this afternoon, as he has known Incisor problems he may also have problems with his molars (cheek teeth) now too. There may be soft tissue damage in his mouth and/or he may be getting pain in his jaw caused by elongated tooth roots.

I really would not delay obtaining Vet treatment for him today, especially pain relief. Pineapple Juice wont help him at all.

Good luck

Agree with everything Jane says, please seek treatment today.

Back