• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch recycled

whitehood

Warren Veteran
I'm going to dismantle my run and make a hutch out of it.

Why?
Because eventhough it was secure etc.
Lucky used to only use the wooden space of it and not the grass side.

We're going to make a 6ft hutch out of it. Which he'll share with his wifey.

It's not going to be attached to a run because he's going to be let out to free range in the garden everyday.
And then in the evenings he'll be allowed in the house to free range.

:wave:

Sounds like a plan, although you'll need a lot of wood to make a 6ft hutch!

Do make sure your garden is secure enough for unsupervised free-range though, you dont want crows or cats hassling them, or worse foxes.

I'm going to dismantle my run and make a hutch out of it.

Why?
Because eventhough it was secure etc.
Lucky used to only use the wooden space of it and not the grass side.

We're going to make a 6ft hutch out of it. Which he'll share with his wifey.

It's not going to be attached to a run because he's going to be let out to free range in the garden everyday.
And then in the evenings he'll be allowed in the house to free range.

Remember you can't do this until spring time.

When they're free ranging in the garden will someone be around to keep an eye on them? It can take seconds for a predator to appear and they aren't shy about coming out during the day. I've seen foxes metres up the road when mine have been in the garden.

Yes sorry forgot to mention they'll be supervised while free ranging outside.
Inside they won't be supervised.

Yes sorry forgot to mention they'll be supervised while free ranging outside.
Inside they won't be supervised.

Wasn't it you who had them free-range indoors, but had to stop, because they destroyed too much of your parents house? :lol:

And they can't come in through the winter, and i'll keep pumping that point :lol:

I don't know :/
Was it ?

Why can't they go in the hutch in the winter ? Is it because it's going to be cold ? Or another reason ?

If they are outside they need a large hutch and access to a large run all day. As you know, you cannot have them outside in the winter, bring them inside each evening and then put them back outside. They cannot tolerate such temperature changes.

I don't know :/
Was it ?

Why can't they go in the hutch in the winter ? Is it because it's going to be cold ? Or another reason ?

If he is inside now he cant go out till April because of the cold. If he is outside then he cant come in to play until April because of the temp difference between outside and in.

If they are only going to have time out of the hutch supervised (as they wont be able to come inside because of the temp difference) they probably wont get much, so you may want to leave the run as it is and build the hutch out of other wood.

They're going to be let out to free range everyday so won't be getting a run.

Thanks for telling me why they can't be let in and out of the house though :)

I let him out everyday to free range in the afternoon.

I think what people (and I) are trying to get at is the following;

being locked in a hutch and being allowed out for a couple of hours 'free-range' in the afternoon is not sufficient.

He can't come indoors at all, while living outdoors in the winter as the temperature change could cause illness. He already has a history of snuffles.

Where does Lucky live at the moment?

I think what people (and I) are trying to get at is the following;

being locked in a hutch and being allowed out for a couple of hours 'free-range' in the afternoon is not sufficient.

He can't come indoors at all, while living outdoors in the winter as the temperature change could cause illness. He already has a history of snuffles.

Where does Lucky live at the moment?

He lives in the kitchen plus dining room he no such base but does camp on the dining room chairs and behind the sofa.
He gets let out at 12 noon - into the garden with access to the garage. Whilst I'm at school one of my parents supervises him sometimes from the kitchen and dining room.
And then I come home and let him in the house at 5 where he stays.

I know he doesn't get supervised 100% pefectly. But it's the way it is. If someone had to supervise him perfectly he'll get less free range time as the supervisors also have things to do.

You may not agree with my method and that's fine but please do not make me feel like I'm being interrogated and taught rudely.

He lives in the kitchen plus dining room he no such base but does camp on the dining room chairs and behind the sofa.
He gets let out at 12 noon - into the garden with access to the garage. Whilst I'm at school one of my parents supervises him sometimes from the kitchen and dining room.
And then I come home and let him in the house at 5 where he stays.

I know he doesn't get supervised 100% pefectly. But it's the way it is. If someone had to supervise him perfectly he'll get less free range time as the supervisors also have things to do.

You may not agree with my method and that's fine but please do not make me feel like I'm being interrogated and taught rudely.

I don't think this is very healthy for him with all the temperature changes, apologies if I have read this incorrectly but I am thinking the change in temperature from him being kept inside the house then let out for five hours (12-5) then back in the house again :?

After the hutch is made he'll be living in it at night he'll be let out aft 12 noon and in again at 8pm.
Whilst outside he'll have access to the garage.
I didn't realise about the temp changes. :wave:

Could he stay inside all day at all? I think its probably a bit late in the year to put him outside, will mean you have plenty of time to make the hutch ready for spring though :) Sounds like he has loads of space indoors, and it will be safe from predators as well.

As for free-range when it gets warmer, not knowing your garden I dont know if this would work, but could you fence off an area, (or use the fences you already have around your garden), and make a roof for it from mesh or corrugated plastic? Not sure if you saw the thread where someone did that down the side of their house recently, cant seem to find it now, but it looked like a brilliant and inexpensive idea and was completely safe for the buns :)

I think it is too late for rabbits to go outside now I'm afraid (moving outside into a hutch from previously being indoors).

I'm going to be keeping them inside with access to the garden in the afternoons.
Sorry if you feel like I'm ignoring people but you don't know my dilemma :(

It's personal I don't want to tell everyone.

Back