• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nightmare getting my buns out of their run

jackiestone

Warren Veteran
:(:oops: I have the extra large metal run
It has a small door in the roof which is impossible to get both hands in and then getting a bunny through,if you are lucky to catch them :oops::evil:
It also has a door at one end,which is uselesss as they go to the other end if you open it :oops::evil:
The only way now to get them in is to lift whole run up and hope that you catch them when you do it :oops::( Thankfully we have a secure garden but it is 150ft,I am starting to dread catching them and it must be stressing them as much as it is me
Any ideas please ??? :wave::oops:

i had a similar problem. i started blocking off a smaller portion of the run using a board so that they were confined into a smaller space. it also helps to have someone else with you. one can distract, one can catch!

I have a run like that, the bigger sized run has a smaller door in the roof than the middle sized one!! Thankfully I also have the medium one joined on, so I get in with them to catch them :lol:

Maybe try bribery with something tasty to get them to sit still for a second by the other door?

When i put mine in their run in the summer i dont feed them in the morning. They eat the grass during the day. So when i come to get them out i just shake the pellets and they come running! Give it a try :wave:

I have a run like that, the bigger sized run has a smaller door in the roof than the middle sized one!! Thankfully I also have the medium one joined on, so I get in with them to catch them :lol:

Maybe try bribery with something tasty to get them to sit still for a second by the other door?
A carrier containing their favourite food, placed by the side door of the run?

Sometimes I'd never catch mine (indoor buns tho) if it weren't for carriers and basil.

I agree with the pellets idea.

Could you fit a carrier in the run? If so would they go into it if you put one in?

I have 2 runs like this. The G Pigs go into any covered area so I just pick them out of their igloo by the door. Quite easy.

However, the slightly larger run also has smaller doors. I usually end up sending a small(ish) child in to pick up the 2 rabbits. It's also much easier if one person shoos them from the lid at one end to the door at the other where someone else picks them up. I really need to train them with food. Some of my buns will 'Go to bed' on command (well, usually.....if they feel like it....).

Otherwise, I find it almost impossible to get buns out of these runs on my own without lots of patience, muddy knees and very long arms.

I normally have my OH or one of the kids at the end without a door to annoy them so they come down to the end I am at. I wait at the end door ready to scoop them up!

If I am on my own then then the carrier idea works well. Make sure something really tasty is in it but right at the back so they have to get all the way in to get the food otherwise thy stretch in, grab the food and run off.:roll:

Back