• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Missing claw

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
Hazel was in a fight a few weeks ago with one of my other rabbits. I had checked her over and she'd had what I thought was a graze on one of her toes. It scabbed over and I thought it was healing. The scab did come off at one point but she didnt seem too bothered with it (no excessive licking of that area) and it seemed to scab over again. This morning I went out and the claw is completely gone and it looks raw l like white cartilage? She seems absolutely fine - eating etc.
Do rabbits claws grow again - like nails? She lives in the summer house but I havnt let her out into her run as I dont know if its serious or not.
Has anyone got any advice?

Finx has lost a claw before, there was a bit of blood but she cleaned it up herself and it grew back. If it looks sore I'd just monitor it and maybe keep her in for an extra day just to avoid infection? I would get it checked by a vet if you think it looks infected, but if it's anything like my experience then as long as it is kept clean and not irritated she will be fine :)

Not sure on that one sorry, I can only go by my own experience :? Hopefully someone will come along with more advice! I appreciate it's Sunday, but perhaps you can call your vets in the morning if she seems comfortable today and ask their advice over the phone. I'd definitely keep a close eye out for change though, eating, pooing etc.

Sorry not to be more helpful!

When the nail breaks off there will be a bit of nail still in the claw, I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to. Yes it will grow back, but there is a risk of infection. Keep the area clean if you can. If it looks infected or swollen at all go to the vets.

I think I'll take her to the vets in the morning just to check. It does look clean but I've kept her in today just to reduce chance of infection. Thanks for your advice. :)

Been to the vets with Hazel. They trimmed back what was left of the claw but the vet dosnt think it would grow back. It has been bandaged up and shes been given pain killers and I've got antibiotics to give her twice a day. Hopefully it'll be healed up soon.

Been to the vets with Hazel. They trimmed back what was left of the claw but the vet dosnt think it would grow back. It has been bandaged up and shes been given pain killers and I've got antibiotics to give her twice a day. Hopefully it'll be healed up soon.

Thanks for the update :wave:
Glad she's ok. Maybe she pulled out more than Finx did! At least she'll be comfy with the painkillers while it heals up.

Back