• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Praise for a Petshop

MichG

Mama Doe
I just wanted to write on here how impressed I am with my assistant manager at the large chain pet shop I work in (am I allowed to name it if it is praise??) I am sure you can all guess... I work for Companion Care Vets.
I was having a really long chat with the Assistant manager in the the other day and she shares a lot of the same views as me (us) that Pet shops should NOT sell animals, we decided that we think they should stop all live animal sales and have a larger support adoption centre (with better pens) and promote rescuing instead. She, where possible will NOT sell 2 of the same sex bunnies together and is working with the other staff to encourage them to encourage people to buy a male rabbit, get him castrated as soon as they can, then come back for a female. If they show their neutering receipt and rabbit purchase receipt she will then refund the rabbit and put through 2 rabbits on their buy 2 for £... offer. She has also stopped selling to people who want outdoor bunnies unless they are going into a shed/garage, and refuses to sell them again until after winter. My store also refuse a lot of animal sales for example if people say they want to breed.
Also if there are 2 chinchillas/2 degus in a pen they will not sell one and leave the other on its own.
She also hates the fact that their hutches and runs are too small and does advise people to look on the internet for bigger.

I know not all shops are like this, but there are some staff who really do care and will do their best to do what is right for the animals whilst working within the company rules.
I still would never buy an animal from them or support them in their animal sales, and I also realise that people like our Assistant manager (and other shop staff) are few and far between but I feel I am lucky to work in the store I work in and see so much negative about them, but they aren't all bad. I just wanted to post somthing good for a change as I was impressed with what she does.

My local store are brilliant too:wave: There's two where I live and the other isnt as good, but my local store is by far the best pet shop in the area:D

My local store are brilliant too:wave: There's two where I live and the other isnt as good, but my local store is by far the best pet shop in the area:D

Same, there's two near me. The one I usually go to is pretty good (not at good as the cheltenham one but good nonetheless!) but the other one is awful. I had to go to that one the other day and I'm still having nightmares about this poor black minilop. Who was being bullied so heavily by his cagemate he couldn't even move without being growled and lunged at. He couldn't even have a drink of water :cry: And the assistant said "oh boys will be boys" not if you separate them they won't :censored:
His coat was all greasy and he looked so forlorn I just wanted to snatch him up and run away with him to nurse him back to health. But I can't :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

The one in cheltenham is really good though :) The lady who looks after the buns there is very knowledgeable and she often refuses to sell people animals.

Same, there's two near me. The one I usually go to is pretty good (not at good as the cheltenham one but good nonetheless!) but the other one is awful. I had to go to that one the other day and I'm still having nightmares about this poor black minilop. Who was being bullied so heavily by his cagemate he couldn't even move without being growled and lunged at. He couldn't even have a drink of water :cry: And the assistant said "oh boys will be boys" not if you separate them they won't :censored:
His coat was all greasy and he looked so forlorn I just wanted to snatch him up and run away with him to nurse him back to health. But I can't :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

The one in cheltenham is really good though :) The lady who looks after the buns there is very knowledgeable and she often refuses to sell people animals.

Ours often refuse. I really like mine and to be honest although I dont like seeing animals on sale, they are much better cared for than all of the other petshops in my area.

That's nice to hear :) I've stopped using my local chain petshop after seeing too many ill cared for animals. It's good to know that they're not all like mine.

She, where possible will NOT sell 2 of the same sex bunnies together and is working with the other staff to encourage them to encourage people to buy a male rabbit, get him castrated as soon as they can, then come back for a female.
How bad is it really to have two female rabbits though? There seem to be quite a few successful female-female pairs on here. (I'm not going to say mine are an example though as two months, and at four months old, is very early days.)

The P@H mine came from seems to have some good staff - the girl who talked me through rabbit care, vaccinations and neutering was far better than you would expect given the repuation the place has. But another staff member was selling a rabbit to a woman who wanted it to live with her guinea pigs. There were two very miserable chinchillas fighting; I wondered if they'd been left in the same tank as there was no space to separate them. I really think they should and could stop selling giant rabbits ASAP as they take months to sell (the staff said as much) - it probably would have very little effect on profits and of course it would be better for the giants.

They were good at paying for transport and vet care at first (one of the rabbits became ill 24h after coming home, the other a few days later) but then seemed to get fed up with it - they didn't fully acknowledge their duty to pay for the care of the rabbits, which must have already been incuabting something when they sold them.
Whilst I did get *some* useful tips from the vets there (eg Biolapis) I was in general not very impressed with them and got the feeling that these were not people with a serious in depth knowledge about rabbits. So I took them to another vets, even though there was then no chance of P@H paying.

Back