• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

ramps after spay?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave:

I didnt know wether to ask this here or in the medical section but I just wondered what everyone had done after their girls were spayed with regards to ramps etc?

Poppy 4 days post spay as of this morning and Daisy was 3 days post spay as of this morning...they live in a double level hutch that has a ramp for access up and down. At the moment I have them restricted to the upstairs of the hutch with the ramp blocked off. How long do I need to keep them like that for? They are back at the vets monday night so I was thinking about leaving it and asking the vet but as soon as I open the hutch door they are pushing each other out the way to get some fuss etc and Im wondering if they are feeling a little couped up :?

They are eating and drinking really well, poops are back to almost golden again etc. They are moving around easily etc but im just worried about the fact that they are cramped up in the upstairs. They normally have the run of the 2 story hutch plus their attached run.

Any advice would be great...I did search but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. Sorry if im asking ovious questions :oops:

Also the vet suggested leaving hay for bedding untill a week after surgery...does this sound about right? Im using towels/fleece blankets etc at the moment and changing them every couple of hours but when they poop on them obvously the poop just sits on the towels rather than sifting down into the hay and Im worried they wont want to go and snuggle in their bedroom becuase its mucky (im changing towels every couple of hours and sifting out poop inbetween but there is still somethere each time I go out to the hutch!).

had my 1 girl spayed and 2 boys nuetered last wk my vet told me to get them back on hay after 2days and let them use the ramps after a few days just keep a eye on the wounds to make sure they are not pulling too much, if they are take the ramp back out but it does depend on how they where stitched/glued up.

all of mine had 3 weeks with no ramps as i didnt wanna risk it they are sore and i didnt want them to catch a wound or bang the wound

I would leave the ramp out for at least a week and then see how the scars look. Every bun is different so this needs assessing on an individual basis. If both scars are healing well could you pop them in the run for a couple of hours each day so they can stretch their legs? Remove anything that they can jump into or on top of though :wave: You have to balance the risk of them getting agitated/fed up/cross (& possibly falling out as a result) due to the confined space against the risk of them doing any damage to their scars. Personally, if they are eating & pooing fine & the scars are healing well I'd let them have some time out.

Last edited:
Thank you :)

they normally have their run attached to their hutch but obviously we have taken that off while they recover from their spays and then limited them to upstairs. The weather has been so awful here today that we have moved their hutch into the garden shed (metal one with no doors (its longer than wide if that makes sense so infact is acting just as a metal shelter with sides on!). They are much more protected in there :)

On friday we are going to put their shed together and attach the run so they wont have access 24/7 to their run again untill friday/saturday but given that they are only a few days post surgery anyway I didnt think that would matter much...I will ask the vet tomorow about letting them use the ramp/have a bit of freedom in the run and I might put them out in the run for a little while on tuesday. That will be a week post for Poppy and 6 days post for Daisy :)

Back