• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stasis?

I'm feeling really guilty as I let the rabbits have the run of the living room, but trying to bunny proof the corners of my leather settee(already chewed with stuffing coming out) I decided to cover the corners with thin wood and gaffa tape) during the early hours of yesterday morning pebbles managed to pull the gaffa tape and wood off the settee and got it stuck to his fur. As soon as I got up I got him ustuck, but he has been very quite and has refused to eat anything. he usually goes mad for pellets, dandelion and banana but he wont touch anything. I have mashed up banana and banana mixed with pellet dust but it looks like more is being spat out than being eaten. He is drinking a little. Could it be shock, or could that be coincidence as he has mis-aligned molar on right hand side that didn't appear to be causing any problems over the last week (although I suspect they may need doing as he has had a runny nose)

I'm about to phone vet now, and get him up there as soon as possible.

If there is a risk that he has ingested something he shouldn't then you need to get him to a Vet now.

Has he passed any poos overnight ?

I don't think he has passed any poos, but difficult to tell as he is with 3 other buns, and didn't want to upset him more by removing him from them. It is possible he may have ingested some of the tape or a bit of sofa although they don't usually eat the sofa - just chew bits of and pull the stuffing out and leave it on the floor. Vet can't get him in till this afternoon, as they were fully booked this morning. Should I continue to syringe feed him as often as possible? I've tried offering him his favourites. He just seems really subdues at the moment.

I don't think he has passed any poos, but difficult to tell as he is with 3 other buns, and didn't want to upset him more by removing him from them. It is possible he may have ingested some of the tape or a bit of sofa although they don't usually eat the sofa - just chew bits of and pull the stuffing out and leave it on the floor. Vet can't get him in till this afternoon, as they were fully booked this morning. Should I continue to syringe feed him as often as possible? I've tried offering him his favourites. He just seems really subdues at the moment.

I wouldn't attempt to syringe feed him anything except fluids, if he's ingested some of the tape he could have an obstruction so syringing food in behind an obstruction could be extremely dangerous.

Have you/is it possible to tell the vet it's an emergency and explain the details? In the circumstances he needs to be seen ASAP because if it is a blockage time is of the essence.

If he's not eating and as far as you know not passing any droppings, and is generally unwell and lethargic then you need to take him to the vets this morning and insist he is seen as an emergency case. All vets have emergency provisions and should see you on arrival or shortly after. If they won't then I would question their rabbit knowledge and take him elsewhere.

ETA it is obviously courtesy to ring first and arrange this. My vets will ALWAYS slot in a suspected stasis emergency case immediately on arrival.

Fortunately the vet saw him and said she doesn't think it is a blockage, and he has also done a rather yucky sticky poo, which must be the banana mixture I fed him come through (I hope). She has given him gut stimulant and anti-inflammatory and had another look at his teeth and he is booked in for a dental. Probably just coincidence that he stopped eating. I've bought him some baby food which he is going mad for off the syringe, and he is drinking ok. He has perked up quite a bit but will keep a close eye on him tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully I can tempt him to eat some pellets. I guess yucky sticky poo is better than no poo at all!

Just a quick up date.... he is loving the baby food, and has started eating pellets again. I think it was more down to shock than his teeth, but he is booked in for dental anyway now, so at least his teeth can be trimmed before they get too bad and cause more problems inside his mouth. he is so much more like his usual self, exploring the house again, and popping out on the patio :D So happy it wasn't anything more serious.

Just a quick up date.... he is loving the baby food, and has started eating pellets again. I think it was more down to shock than his teeth, but he is booked in for dental anyway now, so at least his teeth can be trimmed before they get too bad and cause more problems inside his mouth. he is so much more like his usual self, exploring the house again, and popping out on the patio :D So happy it wasn't anything more serious.

Glad he's feeling better and more like his old self. A big sticky yucky poo is a malformed caecotroph in most instances and indicative of sudden acute dysbiosis which is often a symptom of ileus/gut stasis. Often once it is eliminated from the body the droppings return to normal and the episode is in recovery provided bun has resumed eating and normal activity. It could have been the sugary banana cause the dysbiosis but unlikely due to the time passed and caecal emptying times. Don't ever assume stopping eating is just coincidence as there is often a very good reason. Sounds like an acute stasis but that it has rectified itself and you getting him eating has got things moving again. :)

The drugs from the vet will have helped.

Hope his dental goes well. :)

Thanks, he keeps going back for more pellets and his poos are getting better. Luckily they are all house buns, and I have been with them pretty much 24/7 for last 4-5 weeks, so know them very well, and know what is "normal" behaviour and what isn't. After the last dental he had in May he went off his food for a day so I will have to keep a close eye on him.

Back