• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Small wound / scratch

Vita

Mama Doe
I've just noticed that Ada has a little bit of dried blood at the back base of one of her ears. Presumably the right thing to do is to clean it with cooled boiled water with a little bit of salt?

This seems like a stupid question, but what sort of things do I need to do to keep an eye on it? Should I part the fur each time to check it? Are there any signs to look for you wouldn't see in a human? How quickly should I expect it to heal? She is on antibiotics for snuffles and hasn't really grown in almost 2 months.
This is the first time I've had to deal with anything like this in a furry animal, and you can't see how it's healing so easily as if it's on yourself and I don't know how their healing speeds compare with ours.

Should I continue to clean it for a few days, e.g. twice a day?

They are seeing the vet later in the week anyway, but I'd assume that a small scratch doesn't warrant a visit unless it turns nasty. Is that right?

ETA, 20 mins later...
That was farcical :D Beatrix binkied into the ramekin of salt water just as I was starting to clean Ada! I had to start with her facing towards me. The cotton wool pad came away clean (no hint of blood or dirt) as I managed to get her to turn, her damp fur looked clean as well. I tried to dry the area with another couple of pads. Then they ran around all over the house, mocking the tired achy human. They have so much energy at this time and all I could do was watch them, close doors and hope they didn't chew anything unbunnyproof I'd left lying about. I'd run out of basil - foolishly allowing them to feast on it earlier - so had to resort to pellets to lure them back. I kept looking at the back of Ada's ear and could see nothing untoward. But will check her again in the morning.

Last edited:
A small superficial scratch should heal quickly :)

I'd check inside her ears too as if she has actually been scratching her ears it may be due to ear mites. As she already has an URTI ear infection is also something to check for as Otitis is often associated with URTIs

A small superficial scratch should heal quickly :)

I'd check inside her ears too as if she has actually been scratching her ears it may be due to ear mites. As she already has an URTI ear infection is also something to check for as Otitis is often associated with URTIs

Thank you :)

She usually comes and sits on the landing in the afternoon and is quieter and strokier, so it will be easier to look at her then.

Can't believe how difficult it is to look at the back of her head. Even if I hold something up for her in the opposite direction, she nearly always wants to face me if I'm near her - so endearing.
Eventually I managed to have a good look at the area - no sign of blood, but there is a tiny little bit of sticking up, partly pulled out fur. I'd guess that it's Beatrix's fault. Ada has pulled fur under Beatrix's mouth a couple of times in a similar way.

At least it looks like nothing to worry about.

Back