• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbits in the snow.

Kerryyyy

Mama Doe
Can indoor rabbits go out in the snow?? Is there anything we need to do to prepare the bunny before it goes out and when we bring it back in?? I don't want to get snow but if we do I would like to let the rabbits out in it.

Can indoor rabbits go out in the snow?? Is there anything we need to do to prepare the bunny before it goes out and when we bring it back in?? I don't want to get snow but if we do I would like to let the rabbits out in it.

Rabbits tend to love snow...its strange and fun for them....but as a house bunny, and bear in mind their used to central heating and can't put a scarf & gloves, on i would supervise them.. If they start looking cold let them come in as there not hardened to the cold like outdoor bunnies are xx

I wouldn't advise it myself. They might enjoy it briefly but the temperature fluctuations could easily trigger a respiratory infection. It's different when they've been outside all year and have grown an outdoor winter coat and have put on weight to protect them from the cold. Indoor rabbits have fur and weight patterns designed to cope with centrally heated housing and it's a huge temperature drop to suddenly put them outside when it's freezing. For a few minutes' worth of exploring time it really isn't worth it in my view. :?

Even my outdoor buns get locked in their shed/hutches when it's deep moist snow, or they'd sink in it up to their necks and have no real way to dry off properly without bringing them in, which again messes up the constant temp thing.

Hope that helps. :wave:

Louie has the option to go outside every day when someone is home, so he goes out in the snow and loves it!

Louie has the option to go outside every day when someone is home, so he goes out in the snow and loves it!
It the same with me......if you rabbit is healthy they will tell u when enough is enough...

Everyday Wilson forgets its winter, asks me to open the back door and then sniffs, puts his paws outside and then runs back in...:lol::lol::love:

For your reassurance check out this Forum Post:) :bunny::bunny:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...se-can-i-see-SNOW-bunnies&highlight=buns+snow

I wouldn't let them out unless they were able to get back in themselves when they've decided they've had enough. Last year I bought some snow in and they enjoyed it but with two previous snuffle bunnies I'm not going to risk letting them out unless I can leave a door open or something and, brr, I'm not gonna do that!!

I don't put mine out... The temp changes won't be good for a bunny.
I do bring a bowl of snow in so that Charlie can dig at it if he wants to... And I'll do the same this year for Milly. But they won't be going outside

Thanks, I didn't wanna put them out in the snow if it was gonna hurt them. I might try bringing some snow in for them to play in. So what about drying them off?? I mean it might make me seem thick but surely they will get a little wet when they play in it.

I would think that putting an indoor bunny out in the cold weather would be similar to bringing an outdoor bunny indoors during cold weather. It's not generally recommended because sudden changes in temperature make it difficult for them to regulate their own body temperature?

Thanks, I didn't wanna put them out in the snow if it was gonna hurt them. I might try bringing some snow in for them to play in. So what about drying them off?? I mean it might make me seem thick but surely they will get a little wet when they play in it.

Their paws got a little wet but nothing major, I didn't bother drying them off, they didn't need it :)

I wouldn't. The temperature change wont do them any good. We might just about cope but we're much bigger and less fragile, I tend to get poorly every time I've been on holiday and come back to cold weather

Would also like to point out this is the same the other way around, please don't bring outdoor rabbit inside for a few hours because you feel sorry for them

Back