• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Huge panic today!....

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
I woke up for work at 6:15am as usual and got ready to sort out the rabbits by 7:10am. Our cat Skunk was sat outside one of two patio doors crying to come in the be fed her breakfast while I was still trying to sort my own breakfast out. Just as I looked into the garden, I saw both run lids were wide open, but I thought to myself "I definatly closed them last night didn't I? I'm almost 100% certain I did because I remember checking before I go in as always". So just as I was about to rush out to check on the rabbits I glanced at my noisy cat and saw one of my rabbits run out from behind her and stood next to her!!!!!! I paniced like never before because my first thought was, how the HELL did she get out of the run even with the lids wide open, and two, who else has gotten out too"? I called Bellas name and she paused, looked at me with her pricked up ears and seems to relax a little. In a panic I picked her up, quite roughly I must admit, and put her in the run and closed the lids. Luckily the other 3 were still inside their runs! Bella was fine and ate her breakfast happily and was running and jumping as normal so my vets said just to watch her droppings over the next 12/24 hours. The strange thing is, she's only a Nethi, a very tiny one too, and the run is 3ft high at it's tallest! Luckily, Skunk isn't bothered by the rabbits at all and I believe Skunk would have kept her safe during the hours she was out as they were side by side. It dreads me to think what could have happened as we have a very busy road infront of our house which is very accessable for small animals down our ally way.....which was where they orriginally came out from.

I'm just SOOOOOO thankful all was ok in the end. Bella is unfortunatly the "runt" in the group and Blossom, our other Nethi, is the leader. So when I watched Bella re-unite with her group, it was so beautiful to see Blossom sat so tightly next to her grooming Bellas face in comfort. Blossom is usually hasseling her from time to time, so to see grooming of those two was magical.

Any one elseo got any other heart sicking storys which ended up lovely?

Wow, that moment when you realise it's gone wrong and your blood just runs cold. I am really glad it turned out well!:thumb:

Sorry :wave:

How did the run open are your garden walls/fences short so a neighbour could jump over it ?
I don't think it's a fox because they wouldn't have just hopped away after opening it :shock:
It could of have been Skunk ?

Maybe you should attach padlocks so it can't be opened in future perhaps?

Sorry :wave:

How did the run open are your garden walls/fences short so a neighbour could jump over it ?
I don't think it's a fox because they wouldn't have just hopped away after opening it :shock:
It could of have been Skunk ?

Maybe you should attach padlocks so it can't be opened in future perhaps?

My cat is 18 years old and lays next to the rabbits run on a regular occassion when it's warm :) I can't see her doing it. We thought that about the fox too...that he would have gone back or at least seriously injured one, but it seems unlikely he'd be able to fold the run lid all the way back on it'self, it's very heavy, though I don't doubt he could have lifted it. Our fences are quite high but I know I can climb over the allyway gate with ease so you never know :/ I'm going out to buy decent locks today....they had a big bowl of pellet and lots of salad this morning, now they're running around on the grass eating it while the weather is still mild :)

Glad everybun was OK!

I found a run lid open recently, and a ladder against the other side of my fence. I thought it was either a fox or the troublesome local kids.

It turned out it was a neighbour, who climbed over my fence to get his cat that had got stuck in the run. He couldn't see how to shut the lid in the dark. It was only slightly ajar though, not wide open. Could the same thing have happened to you? Do you have neighbours you could ask?

After a chat with the guy with the cat, he now has my phone number in case it happens again, and all the lids have padlocks!

Yesterday OH opened the curtains down stairs and saw Archie and Indiana hopping about outside!:shock: Archie was on the patio and Indiana in the middle of the garden! He left them hopping about and then they had disappeared! He said he thought I d go mad if they had gone and quickly looked for them...Indiana has hopped back inside the hutches and Archie was there too! I would have gone mad too if something had happened...I would have rushed outside straight away - anyway - they looked like they had a great time...but I odnt know how long they were out for...and its my fault too - I must have left the one door unlocked!:(

Im SO grateful nothing happened to them....just a huge wake-up call to double check the doors!

Well we found out the issue.....WIND! We have tarpaulin draped over the lids of the runs and the wind got under it and pulled them open....the lids now how bricks on......we fo9und 3 of our girls got out this morning! Luckily I left the grass run still attached so they ended up in that and had a lovely breakfast of grass! All safe now though :)

Crikey, I hate those moments when you realise somethings up and your heart stops! :shock:

Your bunnies are loooooovely by the way :love: Id love to see some more pics of them, and especially Bella as she reminds me of my tiny black boy Timmy :love:

Back