• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new forum member

lunylisa

New Kit
hello
i have a conti giant bun named dave she is about 8 months old and have thought about getting her a friend . Which is best to get another girl or a boy ? i am having her nuetered after christmas because im not interested in babies .she comes inside in the evenings but thoughout the day she is alone so wondered if i should ?also if i do get another what is the best way to intriduce them ?thanks for taking the time to read this :wave:

Hello :wave:

I went to the Blue Cross and rescued a male lop to keep my female rabbit, Finx, company. It's great seeing them happy together! Once your girl is spayed and recovered, and you've found her a neutered male friend, try posting a thread in the behaviour and bonding section - there are lots of people with experience of bonding and introductions who are happy to help!

WEBBLE what can i expect on the day of my buns neutering ?and how long is the recovery time ?

Is she a girl? If so you will treat her as normal in the morning feed her etc then take her in, maybe with some of her favourite foods and a comfy blanket in her carrier. They will do the op and make sure that she is eating and pooing normally before allowing her home. Its worth checking that she has had pain relief before she comes home.

You will need to keep her warm afterwards and on a soft surface such as a blanket that will be soft on her scar. Rabbits are like dogs in that they will have a zip like scar under their belly. It might be worth investing in a snuggle safe heat pad for her. Keep a close eye on her when she comes home and make sure she is eating and pooing

Rabbits need to be either indoors or outdoors. The temperature difference is too high to put them outside again. I would keep her indoors over winter and whilst she is getting neutered.

thankyou both :) yes dave is a girl a very big girl ! she has a snugglesafe aswell . do they stich or sew the wound up ?she is outdoors will she need to spend the night inside ? sorry for all the questions the forum index page is overwhelming lol still finding my way around :oops: but getting their :)

If its any comfort lunylisa I have just gone through a spey with my bun Misty. After I brought her home I put her in the bottom half of a pet carrier with a fleece blanket inside a huge dog cage in my living room. I was really worried as she is an outside bun and didn't want her to be stressed any further with the difference in outside and indoor temps. So turned the heating off and just kept watch over her for 24hrs she was fine. Didn't eat though until the next morning when I put her back in her outdoor hutch with straw and she soon bounced back.:D

Rabbits need to be either indoors or outdoors. The temperature difference is too high to put them outside again. I would keep her indoors over winter and whilst she is getting neutered.

ok so might put it off til the weather warms up my husband has allergys

If its any comfort lunylisa I have just gone through a spey with my bun Misty. After I brought her home I put her in the bottom half of a pet carrier with a fleece blanket inside a huge dog cage in my living room. I was really worried as she is an outside bun and didn't want her to be stressed any further with the difference in outside and indoor temps. So turned the heating off and just kept watch over her for 24hrs she was fine. Didn't eat though until the next morning when I put her back in her outdoor hutch with straw and she soon bounced back.:D

thanks to everyone for advice feel happier already she such a sweet bun just want to do rite by her

ok so might put it off til the weather warms up my husband has allergys

Just to add, when you bring her inside at the moment, do you have the heating on in the room/s that she visits? If so, you shouldn't put her back outside into the cold - As Sator said, bunnies can't regulate their temperatures very well and can go into shock and unfortunately die :(

Just to add, when you bring her inside at the moment, do you have the heating on in the room/s that she visits? If so, you shouldn't put her back outside into the cold - As Sator said, bunnies can't regulate their temperatures very well and can go into shock and unfortunately die :(

hi she comes to the living room only and all the windows are open the heating is not on when she comes in :)

Back