• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Perplexed by Alfred's eating habits...

Apache

Mama Doe
Alfred had surgery for an abscess and infected jaw bone, nearly 4 weeks ago. he's been back eating hay for 2 weeks - although the amounts have gradually increased.

He has his breakfast (SS) nibbles on some hay, and snoozes until lunch time, and from then until midnight he eats lots of hay (with the odd snoozes), but when I go to bed, he stops eating. I'll find a max of about 20 pellets.

This has been going on since his op, although he'd happily eat kale / carrots etc, but not hay over night.

My first thought was that he must be in pain, so (after talking to the vet) I gave him extra metacam last thing - this didn't make any difference, I've tried emeprid last thing at night too - no difference.

He's not had any metacam at all since Monday, and he eats his hay fine during the day, he's also been off emeprid too, seeing that doesn't make much of a difference.

I had been getting up at 4am to give him a feed of kale, as he'll happily eat that, but last night I just give him a small peice of carrot, and some extra hay, but he didn't seem to have eaten anything since 4, when I fed him at 8.

He's now munching hay quite happily.

His droppings are still a decent size.

Can anybody help explain this? He used to eat normally 24/7 prior to his op.

I am sorry I did not see this thread til now.

If he is eating well all day, his poos are a good size and quantity and he is maintaining his weight he may just not be hungry between 4am and 8am.

I would weigh him today/tomorrow then every 2-3 days. As long as he is not losing weight, he continues to eat during the day/evening and his poos remain good I really would not worry too much.

Again, sorry I did not reply earlier. I just did not see the thread.

Agree with Jane. :wave:

It's great that the amount of hay he's eating is increasing. May be worth trying extra nommy foods like herbs for the times when his appetite seems to dip, if you're really sure he needs to eat during those hours too...:wave:

Thanks both of you - really appreciate you taking the time to reply..

Sorry for sounding grumpy, I've been so worried about him the last few weeks, plus I've been getting up at 4 to feed him, so sleep deprivation probably isn't helping..

Perhaps he's just full and wants to sleep & I'm probably being too neurotic about him not going into stasis..

I'll get some scales, then I can weigh him once a week and make sure he's stable.. Luckily he does have some room, as his weight went from 2.6kg to 2.8 kg after his op as he'd only eat soaked pellets and veg initially..

Thanks again
xx

Thanks both of you - really appreciate you taking the time to reply..

Sorry for sounding grumpy, I've been so worried about him the last few weeks, plus I've been getting up at 4 to feed him, so sleep deprivation probably isn't helping..

Perhaps he's just full and wants to sleep & I'm probably being too neurotic about him not going into stasis..

I'll get some scales, then I can weigh him once a week and make sure he's stable.. Luckily he does have some room, as his weight went from 2.6kg to 2.8 kg after his op as he'd only eat soaked pellets and veg initially..

Thanks again
xx

Ah, sleep deprivation - know it well! :roll: Although having a restless Yorkie on the bed may not be helping... :oops:

I think you've been a wonderful mummy to him but he probably is just tired, as you say. If he's not rushing around at night he's not using up energy, so he's not getting as hungry as he would in the day. As long as he has access to hay in case he gets the night time munchies I would think he'll be fine, especially if your vet says he's doing well.

It is very natural to worry but weighing him regularly should help put your mind at ease. I even turn my buns' weights into graphs - now there's a whole new level of paranoia!! ;)

What these buns do to us! :lol: x x

Louie always comes up to bed with me at around 10pm and some nights I don't think he goes back downstairs to eat as his food/hay look untouched.

I've never really noticed how much mine eat overnight.

They have their bowl full of pellets for breakfast - this is empty by lunchtime.
They have their bowl full of veggies at teatime - this is empty by bedtime.
At teatime their litter tray is changed and will have sone fresh hay in.
At bedtime the hayrack is refilled and fresh hay (and a handful of expensive hay they adore) is sprinkled into the part of their hutch we call 'the hay room'

They are always munching hay as we go to bed. But I have no idea what they eat overnight.

If they're eating during the day and their poos are fine and their water is being consumed. I really wouldn't worry.

I know buns cause worry, and when mine had an abcess I was beside myself. But it's so easy to get caught up in the worrying and not be able to enjoy them

(p.s. Sorry if this reply is too late. I'm afraid I only get time to pop on here a couple of times a week, if that!)

I've never really noticed how much mine eat overnight.

They have their bowl full of pellets for breakfast - this is empty by lunchtime.
They have their bowl full of veggies at teatime - this is empty by bedtime.
At teatime their litter tray is changed and will have sone fresh hay in.
At bedtime the hayrack is refilled and fresh hay (and a handful of expensive hay they adore) is sprinkled into the part of their hutch we call 'the hay room'

They are always munching hay as we go to bed. But I have no idea what they eat overnight.

If they're eating during the day and their poos are fine and their water is being consumed. I really wouldn't worry.

I know buns cause worry, and when mine had an abcess I was beside myself. But it's so easy to get caught up in the worrying and not be able to enjoy them

(p.s. Sorry if this reply is too late. I'm afraid I only get time to pop on here a couple of times a week, if that!)

Thanks Pix - I know he's not eating overnight, as there's hardly any droppings in the morning, but when he does start eating, they're a little smaller than normal, but not tiny. (yes - know exactly what you mean about getting caught up in the worrying!)

Back