• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit waste disposal

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I really need help! Today my parents loaded up the car with all the rabbit waste and took it to the dump (like they have weekly for many years) and they got turned away and told they'd no longer except animal waste. So my parents had to bring it all back and are now angry at me :roll: Its apparently all my fault and I have to find a way to get rid of it. Help please!! We can't burn it cos there's too much, 6 sheds and 6 hutches worth of animal waste.

The same thing happened to us about 5 years ago, it really is a nightmare :( We separate the hay from the newspaper and put the hay waste on freecycle for allotments. Luckily an old man regularly takes ours for his allotment. There are 5 jumbo bags a week of hay waste and we use mine and 2 neighbours bins to get rid of paper waste - around 8 bags fortnightly

I put the poo and dirty hay in my compost bin. The newspaper goes in the recycling bin. My council is pretty good at collecting hay if my compost bin is full. I just have to request a green waste collection.

As you have a lot of bunny waste then try contacting your local allotments. I'm sure they would love it.
I wonder if you could offer to take your waste to them, they might be happier to say yes then.
At my allotment we have horse poo delivered.

Last edited:
I would write to whoever controls your local skip and ask them to fully explain their policy and the reasoning.

We were told they weren't accepting animal waste at ours so we wrote to them, they told us about bacteria and all sorts so we explained that the rabbits only really eat hay and sent a few quotes from gardening places about how it makes excellent compost. They amended their policy to state "waste only from non-meat eating animals"

worth a shot?

Otherwise, you could just put it out with your household non-recyclable waste? Or ask if there is any method of collection they would do? For instance, a green waste wheely bin - though I suspect they'd have the same policy for that.

Yep, try allotments or freecycle, some people will be really happy to get rabbit waste.

BattleKat can you help me write to them? I'm rubbish at wording things :oops: What did you say?

Just say something along the lines of:

"I've recently been informed that your policy re: the green waste has changed and you no longer accept animal waste. Do you have website or information pack which explains what can and can't be put in to the green waste and the reasoning for the change in policy?
I have pet rabbits which obviously eat no meat. Their diet consists largely of hay, with small portions of veg so there are no potential dangers from their waste, like those caused by pathogens in dog or cat waste. Rabbit waste is full of nitrogen which means it's an ideal addition to any compost and would be beneficial to the green waste.
Is there a particular reason that this can no longer be added to the green waste at the recycling centre?
If you could clarify these issues for me I'd greatly appreciate it
<name>"

I can give you some more help tomorrow if you like, or I'm sure someone else will come along who's a lot better at writing than me :)

They may well have changed their contracts and hence the way they deal with the green waste. I actually disagree that there's no harm to bunny waste in compost just because they're vegetarians - the risks may be lower but not altogether missing.

If the way that green waste is treated does not involve heat treatment of a degree which would kill ec or cocci spores, for instance, then that waste could potentially end up getting spread around public areas or people's gardens, infecting other animals or even immunocompromised humans. How would you feel if you bought a bag of garden compost and it ended up killing your own rabbits because someone else had put their bunny waste into it which transferred pathogens onto your property?

I don't think there's any harm writing to ask, but they don't usually make these changes for a laugh and it might well be for a technical reason to do with how the waste is processed or where it ends up. Either way, I hope you find a solution which works for everyone :)

Back