• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Hutch Bedding

MattyMW

New Kit
Hi we just got a rabbit like 3 days ago and I was wondering what you lot use for the flooring in the hutch. Its a hutch with 2 rooms - one for sleeping which is full of hay for warmth. And the other room has just newpaper down and the bowls + litter tray. What do you use for the flooring and how often do you change it? Also could someone please tell me what a hay rack is?

Thanks! :)

A lot of people start by lining out the hutch with lino which makes it easier to clean out. Then a litter tray with newspaper or megazorb or care fresh and then lots of hay. In the cold weather it's a good idea to provide lots of hay through the hutch to keep it snuggly. Blankets are good too providing your rabbit isn't a chewer :)

A hay rack is something that attaches to the wall or mesh that can hold hay. Personally I find mine don't like hay racks and prefer for the hay to be underneath them so they can forage in it.

I use straw in my rabbits bedroom compartment. It is warmer and cheaper than hay. I have lino down in the other part as mine are litter trained. I used to use woodshavings before they were litter trained. It is essential that hay is available all the time.

We have a double story hutch and upstairs there is a bedroom which we put loads of straw in and then add a layer of hay on the top (so that they eat the hay rather than the straw!), then the upstairs landing bit I put a thin layer of straw and lots of hay over the top. Downstairs is just bare wood flooring :)

In the litter trays we are currently using newspaper at the bottom, then megazorb and then loads of hay :) they like to munch and poop at the same time! :thumb:

Back