• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please with litter tray post spay?? Poo Q P5, sorry!!

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Hubby has just left the vets with the girls and will be home very shortly. I have made the hutch up and for bedding I have just made some fleece pillowcases and stuffed them with straw so there is no loose bedding on the floor that could stick to their wounds. What about litter trays? :? Did you put them in post spay? P is about 50 hours post spay and D is about 30 hours ish post surgery? Help!! I can just put newspaper in there but they normally eat their hay from the LT and obviously I want them to eat!!

Last edited:
When I asked this about Dillon before his op, the general consensus seemed to be forget the litter tray for a few days, as he'd have to jump in and out of it and would pull his wound, he had an internal neuter so the same stomach wound as a girly, but not the internal trauma I don't think. I think I left it out for 4 days, but then again he'd managed to get out of his recovery pen and was back in the living room and kitchen and was much happier and seemed to heal a lot quicker with things back to normal. He's quite clean and didn't do too well with having to just wee on the newspaper and fleeces though. I think the litter/ hay can stick to their wounds too, I put some hay in a hay rack really low down instead of the tray.

We used wood based cat litter in my rabbit's litter tray, it definitely wont stick to their wounds :)
They do the litter in Tesco and Range, hope they are ok x

I would get some puppy training pads and put those where they usually have their litter tray, instead of the tray itself :)
Also, a snugglesafe each as the warmth will be soothing :)

Thank you :)

I have lined the bedroom with newspaper and lots of fleece blankets and I made some fleece pillowcase covers and stuffed them with straw and hay and they have their snugglesafes in there too. Then in the living room bit of the hutch there is a cat litter tray with megazorb and then newspaper over the top (they have both been in and out of the tray with no problems), floor is bare wood and then they have their waterbowl and a big dowg bowl full of hay (the wont use a rack) and I think they are ok for now. Both eating and drinking...Poppy is eating more than daisy who has untill now only eaten hay but she is a day further on in her recovery so its to be expected i guess.

Poo question thought...their poos seem a little smaller than usual and darker than normal (also a little stickier than normal) but I looked in the bag of food that i sent and they hadnt used the pellets but had used their own :roll::evil: So im guessing it might have something to do with it?

Yay they are back!!

I'm far from an expert but when Ellie was back from her spay her poos were just like that, its normal apparently, lasts a few days and gradually changes back to normal.

Are your girls getting around ok? Ellie is kinda walking bless her, its awful seeing them so sore eh.

Hope they like your hard work with the pillows, I put lots of fleecey things in their bed bit but as fast as I put them in Maverick drags them out!! Bloomin men!

Poops will be slower and smaller to start with as the GI tract hasn't moved properly due to the GA. Once they start eating, and the GI tract mobility increases, everything should get back to normal.

Did the vets give you pain killers to give them daily for the next 3-5 days at least post-spay as they are going to be ouchy for a while.

Oooh sorry to butt in but can I ask about the painkillers? Ellie had her spay 3 weeks ago now, and was back in on wednesday for another op to remove an abscess that had formed on her spay incision.

I'd read on here about buns needing pain killers after the operation, so both times when I've gone to pick her up I've asked if there are any, and both times they've told me she's had them.

Are there any slow release injections that they can have, I'm thinking that's the only way she can have 'had them' to last her the whole time she's in pain. Or maybe I just have a mean vets who expect my rabbit to be hard and deal with pain!!

Again, sorry to pinch your thread Tory! Hope the girls are all good this morning x

Oooh sorry to butt in but can I ask about the painkillers? Ellie had her spay 3 weeks ago now, and was back in on wednesday for another op to remove an abscess that had formed on her spay incision.

I'd read on here about buns needing pain killers after the operation, so both times when I've gone to pick her up I've asked if there are any, and both times they've told me she's had them.

Are there any slow release injections that they can have, I'm thinking that's the only way she can have 'had them' to last her the whole time she's in pain. Or maybe I just have a mean vets who expect my rabbit to be hard and deal with pain!!

Again, sorry to pinch your thread Tory! Hope the girls are all good this morning x

My understanding is that there are no pain relief medications that can last long enough for a spay to heal for the entirity. Most rabbit savvy vets send owners home with 3.5 days of metacam to keep bun pain free.

No the girls didnt come home with painkillers, I asked about them but was told they had been given long last injections and shouldnt need anything else :? They go back monday evening for a check up.

Thanks for the info on the poop Graham, its really reassuring to know that its normal...I have been very worried about stasis etc. I havnt seen any uneaten caecals so im sure thats a good sign. Both have eaten pellets as normal for breakfast this morning infact they were very enthusiastic about them!!) and both are drinking and eating small amounts of hay and have had a bit of broccoli too. Poppy is deffinatly much brighter than Daisy but like i said she is a day further on in her recovery.

I have just been out and Daisy is snuggled in the fleece blankets in the bedroom bit of their hutch, she looks very cosy :) I have put a heatpad in there and a handful of hay which she is nomming whilst laying down :) Poppy is out on the landing but of the hutch nomming hay in the litter tray as normal :)

This morning I left the weather cover down over the hutch as it was a bit rainy etc but then it brightened up so i lifted it for a couple of hours for them to get some fresh air etc but having just been out its pretty cold and very windy so I have put the clear front of the cover down again to keep them sheltered a bit more for now :)

Last edited:
Haha...seriously I have two more kids to take care of!!

Hopefully my 2 had the same kind of injection then...but she still looks in a fair bit of pain, we're back again tomorrow so will be finding out about that one!

Maverick was funny when he came back from his neuter...I swear they took my £50 and just gave him straight back to me, he was bounding everywhere!! Ellie was the complete opposite, as she was after this op, took a couple of days to come round. But she's eating now, seems a bit brighter as the days go on and just about putting up with her crazy mad brother! He's really looking after her though its cute to see!

Elaine x

I knew the spaying would stress me out massivly. We were planning on adopting two rescues that would have already been spayed so I hadnt given it much thought or worry but P&D came up rather quickly and needed a home...being only roughly 16 weeks at the time I knew it would be something that I would have to worry about a bit later on! But yes it has been like having two more children here!!

Just been out and changed theor bedding, the fleece pillowcases are in the wash and they have beach towels in there atm. I rang the vet and she said to avoid hay bedding for a week! I figured it much better to change a few times per day becuase im worried about them laying on wet beding and getting an infection! Also if it gets wet im guessing it will get cold too :? Fleeces will be stuffed with hay and straw again eady for tonight! :thumb:

Daisy made me laugh though...I have gone to special effort to avoid hay for bedding and so I put a large dog bowl in the hutch full of hay (they wont eat from a rack) and while I was just cleaning out their bedroom I looked round and Daisy was all snuggled up IN the dog bowl! :roll::lol:

Hope Ellie is more comfie soon xxx

Back