• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Bunny Owners

wildfire_1982

Young Bun
This is SweetPea(or known as Sweetie). She is a full grown bunny. I think she is a holland lop, no idea. We got her from a man 'n his wife. She is disabled. has 2 bad legs. Her right Front leg is bent backwards at the shoulder and her right Rear leg is bent sideways. This doesn't hinder her from moving around but she does it with somewhat of a difficulty. She cant jump jump like normal bunnies and has her own way of saying " i want up ". She'll stand up on her rear legs just fine. Is there anything that can be done about her legs medically wise? They dont seem like its a recent injury or that they hurt her, so either its a old injury from when she was a baby or she was born this way. The man 'n wife didnt say. I think they wanted to get rid of her... they made a point of saying they had 3 dogs who hated rabbits and so they had to only let her out of her cage only occasionally whenever the dogs werent inside(and they admitted that wasn't alot as they was indoor dogs). She is great with my oldest daughter, not testing her with the baby as of yet. We just got her Nov 23rd(the night of). She is a beautiful rabbit, a gray with brown tint fur. the size of a average house kitty(so about 8-9pounds i'd say). Basically is there anything we can do medically wise or just leave her legs alone? They dont seem to bother her and she is purely indoors.

SweetPea

sweetiepie.jpg

Last edited:
She is a beautiful bunny and lucky that you rescued her. I personally would take her to a rabbit savvy vet to look at her legs. They can determine what is wrong with them and tell you what can be done if anything. Rabbits can hide their pain quite well so I'd take her as soon as you can to be sure that she is not in any pain.

oh i plan to. i plan to call a local rabbit savvy vet in the morning to schedule an appt. i know only 1 in my area that doesn't cost alot of money for a simple examination. and maybe she can tell me what breed(or breed mix) and age she is... I wasn't even given that. She moves around quite easily. i've rescued animals b4 and know when they are trying to hide pain, but yet are unsuccessful if you look at their body language and body movement.. and she is moving around freely with no limp or hestation in her placing of her legs.. just looks awkward to me on how she gets around but nothing stiff, no limp and no hestitation in placing her paws...

my mom is irked with me because i have yet again, brought in a animal that needs medical attention... its draining on my finances(money) but i'd rather feel drained then not help an animal and I am teaching my daughter(9yrs old) the responsible thing... I only take in 1 pet at a time who needs medical attention... However, SweetPea is not a rescue or rehab animal, i got her for my daughter Kristin to keep as a pet. But i wont take in another one until i have fully recovered from SweetPea's medical expenses... I just hope its a simple solution and doesnt require surgery...

Does anybody know of anybody who's rabbit had this like condition?? if so please direct me to that person... Or feel free to email me directly. wildfire_1982@aol.com ((i dont care if everybody reads my email address as its only 1 of 3 i have for security purposes))

Back