• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about new bunny

wildfire_1982

Young Bun
My daughter just recently got a new bunny/rabbit. fully grown, mature adult female. spayed. No idea on breed, but from way she looks i am thinking she has to have some holland lop in her.. Anyways my main problem is this....

She has 2 bad legs on her right side.... Front leg is bent backwards from the shoulder and the rear leg is side-ways.

The prior owner said she has no difficulty on moving around(which she doesn't TO a point).. But is there anything that i can take her to a vet to request to be done? She isn't in pain, and it doesn't seem like a injury type ailment, I think she was born this way...

Any help will be appreciative... My daughter loves her already, she's a sweet natured gentle kind bunny. Loves attention and loves to be right beside you if not on your lap.. cant jump jump but will stand up on her hind legs and rest her good front paw on the furniture to let you know she wants up and on your lap if your on the couch or chair(already figured that out last night, lol).

I'd definitely have a chat with a rabbit savvy vet if you can find one.

I know Hugo's There on here has had bunnies with problems similar to that so maybe she will be able to help.

Aww, sounds like she has splayed legs on the right hand side :( Poor little fluffer.

Sounds like she's coping well with it.

Agree with Elena, Hugo's There has experience with it believe.

okay thanks... stupid computer didn't refresh for me to see this had been posted in time to stop from reposting... Is there a way to delete posts?? and I sure will contact a vet, but only after i know if anything CAN be done.. she is full grown and i have no idea on her age.. I have virtually NO information about her... but plan to schedule a vet appt on friday morning for another day to have her eval'd and to determine if something should/can be done with her legs. I want her to be as happy as possible but if surgery only causes her pain, i dont want that for her if it wont help "cure" the problem at heart. She is soo sweet tempered and lovable...

Until she's been examined and the vets worked out the cause it's difficult to say whether there is anything they can do. I would think they'll probably not suggest surgery if she was born that way or it's a very old injury.

Let us know how you get on with the vet :)

Thanks Tamsin.... I talked to my brother's girlfriend(she is a vet tech) today and she said its most likely a birth defect after she examined her. I know a vet tech isn't the same as a vet, but she works with the vet i was going to take her too, so i trust her opinion. She also said she didn't feel any kind of pain induced reaction from her examining it. She said to let her be and not attempt surgery as it could kill her, turns out she's roughly 3 yrs old(her rough guess, she's also an experienced rabbit owner). She told me to give her only fresh veggies and not rabbit pellets... but i have hopes of doing both... fresh veggies AND proper rabbit pellets(from the local country feed store).

Veggies or a combination of both are fine, the most important thing is lots of hay :) Too many pellets are fattening so limit them so she doesn't over indulge. It's probably a good idea to carefully monitor her weight as extra weight would put pressure on her joints.

A comfortable place to rest will help too and keep an eye out for pressure sores in case it rubs where she walks oddly :)

Yah. I'm making a special bed for her. I make 'em and sell 'em for my business. I make 'n sell pet/critter pillow beds and for us ppl too. I plan to put a special memory foam or something like that inside it with some batting for cushion.. I plan to also get a new box(she currently has a old fed-ex box for a "hidey-home thingy").. Should I replace it with another box(she hasn't chewed that one up) or get something a little bit different? Considering her 2 "bum" legs.. How long does a rabbit typically live? She gets scared when she is out of her cage for over 30minutes. I am slowly intro'ing her to the rest of the house in 30min intravels since that is her comfort zone.. She lets us know when she wants to go back "home" by going to my daughter's bedroom door(instead of babygates, i keep the doors closed as i have a 8month old daughter as well) and will just sit there starring at the door, twitch her ears, look over at us, then back at the door and her ears twitch again. lol. She is litter trained(she hasn't gone potty outside of her cage yet anyways).....

I will keep an eye on her legs 'n chest 'n tummy to make sure she doesn't get sore spots.... I have plenty of Timonthy hay since Kristin has a Syrian(teddy bear) hamster and we use it for him occasionally to chew on 'n to use as batting for his nest. I plan to start buying it by the bulk from the local country feed/grain store now that we have Teddy and Sweetie(Kristin just informed me its Sweetie not SweetPea or Sweetie Pie or Sweets, lol).

Custom cushions and Timothy hay, you sound like the perfect owner! She's really landed on her feet with you :)

Cardboard boxes are great, my bun loves them, as long as there isn't a lip for her to climb over it should be fine, if she wasn't happy with it she'd probably have adjusted it herself. She might like tunnels too, rabbit's really like to know there is somewhere sheltered to run to so that will help her feel more confident when exploring.

I think I've seen baby gates with cat/dog flaps in before which might work for you so that she can go through but not your daughter.

I think average for a rabbit is around 6-8yrs but some do make it to 10-12. It may be the deformities shorten her lifespan, as they could be more extensive than easily seen, sometimes rabbits have curved spines too which puts pressure on the organs, or it may have no effect at all. That she's three and is doing well is a really good sign.

she sounds like a really sweet rabbit :) hopefully her disability won't cause her any problems.

You don't really HAVE to give veggies but buns really enjoy them. Even better are herbs and more 'natural' food like carrot tops, rose petals, strawberry leaves, raspberry leaves, etc etc if you can get them.

I get Purina pellets (at ACE hardware store) and another good brand is Oxbow. I give 1 handful of pellets per day and LOTS of timothy hay. Rabbits should eat a pile of hay about the size of their body every day.

Thats good then that i sacraficed a shoebox(with brand new shoes in it still, which they got put onto my top shelf to protect them, lol) and i filled it with timonthy hay. I plan to do this once a day in the mornings. I have a small shipping box from USPS i plan to cut the flaps off of and use as a new home for her in her cage.. Trying to think of creative ways to make a tunnel without paying a bloody fortune. I've seen them at petstores like PetsMart and PetCo and they are expensive(i look at the kitty stuff on that for size for her - online, to allow room for her bum legs). It was a joint decision between me 'n my daughter Kristin, to take her in and care for her.
Here is an excellent picture of what her legs look like.

sweetiepie2.jpg

You don't really HAVE to give veggies but buns really enjoy them. Even better are herbs and more 'natural' food like carrot tops, rose petals, strawberry leaves, raspberry leaves, etc etc if you can get them.

Thanks for the tips on the veggies. I've read a few other posts on some other threads and saw its quite a debate on it.... On how much veggie vs how much pellets

I get Purina pellets (at ACE hardware store) and another good brand is Oxbow. I give 1 handful of pellets per day and LOTS of timothy hay. Rabbits should eat a pile of hay about the size of their body every day.

Another contreversy on the amount of pellets to be given i've read in other threads. lol. But not about the brands, seems to be one-sided on that.. Everybody seems to agree that Oxbow is the best. Right now I am giving her Bomgaars Feeds Premium Rabbit Pellets for Growing & Breeding Rabbits. Its what the prior owners were feeding her... Its a huge 50 pound bag, and is only half full, so when it gets down to a quarter full i plan to buy another brand and slowly mix the new brand with this brand.

Back