• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT - Pair of boys to be PTS, U/D They are here

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Just had a call from a local vets. They have been handed a pair of unneutered male young lop boys who were found in a bin.

They say that they will have no option than to PTS if rescue space cannot be found.

One has an abscess (am trying to find out if it's facial so ear or dental related or from boy bunnies fighting and having the wound untreated).

Apparently the teeth of the one without the abscess look good in the mouth.

They are currently housed together at the vets, but I suspect that they are possibly not 'bonded' and are just so terrified that they are seeking comfort from each other.

I really cannot take more in myself as I have double my 'limit' and am have got no reall likelyhood of rehoming anybun in the run up to Christmas as most of ours are currently pairs or not ready yet. Can anybody help? We might be able to foster in emergency housing if space can be found elsewhere.

Please e-mail me if you can assist.

therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks - Helen

Last edited:
I have e-mailed Helen about this.

She got back to me very quickly and said that she is near Heathrow and space has been offered in Nottinghma (thank god)

I would be more than happy to take a desperate bun in this sort of situation (for the short term) as although accomodation would be less than ideal (I have a spare pets at home hutch on my balcony) they would have free range time indoors at night and plenty of love and attention.

If any of you people are ever in this situation again, please message me. I am in Manchester and would rather help than see them PTS.

Thank you folks. We've now got a plan for these two for the immediate future.

Will keep you posted.

Helen

That is a relief. I don't have any room inside but if you are ever stuck let me know, as I am in Middlesex/Surrey. I would need something for another bunny to be outside though. But I have the time to look after a bunny in case of an emergency, unfortunately for us its simply a problem with money to get any outside accomodation.

That is a relief. I don't have any room inside but if you are ever stuck let me know, as I am in Middlesex/Surrey. I would need something for another bunny to be outside though. But I have the time to look after a bunny in case of an emergency, unfortunately for us its simply a problem with money to get any outside accomodation.

Thank you for the post. In these kinds of situations you'd normally have to be supported by a local rescue or 'adopt' directly from the vets involved.

I personally can't have fosterers (unless it's an absolute dire emergency and then I have some friends who live here and use our rescue vets who I would use), because it's only me here and it makes no sense to have rabbits away from base. Spreading ourselves too thinly by having rabbits away from here is the slippery slope to taking on too much, in particular because I base my limit of rabbits being helped on the funds that my other half and I have available.

I appreciate your kind offer.

Helen

Great news Helen, so glad you could help them :love:

Looking forward to meeting you again in January :)

Im so relieved that a solution has been found even if it is short term. OH will be on the M25/M3 on Saturday, I would have got him to pick them up if need be.

I dont have anything built outside but would always make do with somthing in a situation like this, I couldnt bear it if anybun had to be pts like that.

Im so relieved that a solution has been found even if it is short term. OH will be on the M25/M3 on Saturday, I would have got him to pick them up if need be.

I dont have anything built outside but would always make do with somthing in a situation like this, I couldnt bear it if anybun had to be pts like that.

Bless you, that's so kind. I've had a number of private messages and so we have a solution for now. Updates tomorrow when we knoe they are safe and out of the vets.

:D

I am another who, although I cannot take on any more buns (apart that is from the lovely Abi who is coming our way!!)or foster longer term I can always find emergency space for a bun that faces PTS.

These bunnies were dropped off to me this morning by a vet nurse from the practice.

They are not 'as described' in my opinion and are in worse shape than I had hoped but sadly not worse than I expected.

Story was originally that they were dumped in a bin, but the nurse this morning asked more about them at work and said that the real story is that a bloke went into a butchers and asked if he sold rabbit, when he said yes, he gave him a box. The box contained these two bunnies. Apparently they then were passed onto someone else who took them in to the vets.

They are very underweight, older than described (IMO), have some scabbing, and both have eye issues, one being dreadful and likely to have been a dental abscess or atleast tear duct infection that has gone untreated and the eye is now all but closed up.

I asked the question yesterday if it was likely to be a fight abscess or dental to which I was told fight, but I think completely the opposite.

The bunny with the major eye problem is skin and bone with a wet behind too.

Will let them settle today and then see how we go, with a vet visit as soon as we can. They are very active and seem okay together despite being unneutered. Not phased by humans so yet again, why is it that the bunnies that trust so much get the worst treatment?

I'll post photos at some point.

I wasn't going to take these guys on myself, but I had several offers of help with housing if needed locally (which will be in case I need to split them) and today have had some karma with a tax refund from 2004/5 dropping through the letter box, which means I can now use this unexpected sum to go towards the boys treatment. Universe has provided.

Oh and we've called them Monty Nettlebed and Alfie Trousers.:oops:

So awful, it made my blood go cold. :cry: Didn't the vets treat the bunnies ?

Also wanted to say I was home checked in September by Arc, if that makes any difference.

Poor poor wee bunnies, sometimes I can't believe the world we live in. :evil:

So awful, it made my blood go cold. :cry: Didn't the vets treat the bunnies ?

Also wanted to say I was home checked in September by Arc, if that makes any difference.

Poor poor wee bunnies, sometimes I can't believe the world we live in. :evil:

They put some 'cream in Monty's eye' but no they did not treat. They have however donated two myxo vaccines to my own rescue vet.

I have to ask the question, as they have come from Companion Care INSIDE PETS AT HOME, why they didn't get put in the adoption centre, but cynical me says that's because they wouldn't get adopted due to their condition, but surely that would be more help than offloading to a small, one man band rescue like me wouldn't it?? Of course not, that's not what the adoption centre is for now is it. That makes me really angry in light of the recent donation to the RWAF.

I am however very pleased that they didn't end up in the adoption centre because from here on in, they will get loved and the proper treatment.

They put some 'cream in Monty's eye' but no they did not treat. They have however donated two myxo vaccines to my own rescue vet.

I have to ask the question, as they have come from Companion Care INSIDE PETS AT HOME, why they didn't get put in the adoption centre, but cynical me says that's because they wouldn't get adopted due to their condition, but surely that would be more help than offloading to a small, one man band rescue like me wouldn't it?? Of course not, that's not what the adoption centre is for now is it. That makes me really angry in light of the recent donation to the RWAF.

I am however very pleased that they didn't end up in the adoption centre because from here on in, they will get loved and the proper treatment.

:cry:

Let me know if there's anything i can do Helen.

I know the vets wouldn't get paid for treating them, but if they are already there, wouldn't you want to anyway.

I don't know that much about P&H, other than they sell rabbits and other animals that are bred. I have heard of adoption but not companion care.

Still can't get my head around that bloke taking them to a butchers.

Back