• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RWAF Benevolent Fund for single Owners

Toadie

Alpha Buck
I have been thinking about this since it was realeased yesterday. My bun Frodo is a single boy - I will have had him three years next week :love: I have always intended to have him neutered but because of one thing or another never did. Also earlier this year I had to leave my job and have so far only been working 12hrs a week so money is tight. Anyway, I believe my boy is happy enough, he always has company and receives loads of attention from myself and the OH. But in the back of my mind my biggest wish has been to get him a wifey-bun :love:
When I saw yesterdays release I was excited, and the hubby is all for it too. But the more I thought about it the more I'm not sure. To be honest, although it would be a stretch and would mean not having a social life and a few other treats for a month or two, we could afford to have him done and I think I would feel a bit guilty about taking the RWAF's money. Also the homecheck does slightly concern me, we live in a large one bedroom flat, plenty of space for Frodo to binky around but I'm not sure about two? The hubby did point out there is still more space than a lot of bunnies get but we also have no outdoors.
Also the fund requires you reserve a rabbit from a rescue (it would probably be from Alice at Windwhistle Warren :))and book your bunny in for neutering before you apply, If I got turned down by the fund, there is no way I would feel right about going back to the rescue and saying 'sorry, not interested anymore' (the hubby doesn't quite see it this way).
I don't have the income to take another bunny on at the moment until I find a job with better hours anyway, but as soon as it does improve hopefully I can set the wheels in motion :)
What's RU thoughts on all this?

I'm not sure I agree with that part of it. When I've had to have my pets neutered I go without for a few months. Why can't other people do the same? If they really want another bun that desperately then I'm sure they'll be willing to cost it themselves, rather than taking funds away from rescues who need it.

I've just had to have the same sort of argument with my OH. River has been left alone, which isn't an option for winter as she's an outdoor bun. My OH said that after all we've been through with Mia and getting another dog that we couldn't afford the initial costs of getting her a friend so we should rehome her. Well, after threatening to kick him out to live in the playhouse alone he agreed that we could rehome another bun for River. My mum is giving me my Christmas money as the rehoming fee, so we don't have to worry about finding that upfront cost, but if she hadn't then we would have gone without next month in order to get her a friend.

It's a lovely idea, but I don't know how successful it'll be.:?

I think it's abit of a silly idea tbh.
Surely if someone cant afford a spay/neuter then how are they going to afford another bunny anyway.

I've always paid for my vet bills myself (including getting spays/neuters done) I am on income support so can get cheap care at rspca vets or the rspca cover my vet bills at my vets but I wont take a rescues money, I dont feel it's right. I decided to get animals so it's me who should be paying for them.
Yes I have to go without to make sure I always have money in my 'emergency vet fund' and all my birthday and xmas money goes on my pets but I dont have to feel guilty about spending other peoples money that way.

Surely the RWAF money should be going to bunnies in rescue, helping out with food, housing and stuff for them.

Hi Toadie.:wave:

I've known Frodo for a couple of years and to me he seems a very contented bunny. I know you and Lee spend alot of quality time with him and he is very, very much loved and cared for.

I know that he is the sort of bunny who loves human attention. The chances are he would like a girlfriend, once the fluffy teabag fairy has visited.

What I'm saying is that he is happy, would be happy either way. I'm fairly sure of that.

Also I'm a homechecker for Alice in this area. I know the size of your flat and having two bunnies would not be a problem in my opinion.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.:thumb:

Noserubs to Frodo. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Toadie.:wave:

I've known Frodo for a couple of years and to me he seems a very contented bunny. I know you and Lee spend alot of quality time with him and he is very, very much loved and cared for.

I know that he is the sort of bunny who loves human attention. The chances are he would like a girlfriend, once the fluffy teabag fairy has visited.

What I'm saying is that he is happy, would be happy either way. I'm fairly sure of that.

Also I'm a homechecker for Alice in this area. I know the size of your flat and having two bunnies would not be a problem in my opinion.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.:thumb:

Noserubs to Frodo. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you Di, to be honest I was hoping you would reply to this thread, as much as I do value RU and everyone's advice - you and I know each other and you know Frodo. To me your advice is invaluable :rabbit2:
And I didn't know you were a homechecker for Alice, thanks for those words of reassurance :)

I think it's abit of a silly idea tbh.
Surely if someone cant afford a spay/neuter then how are they going to afford another bunny anyway.

I've always paid for my vet bills myself (including getting spays/neuters done) I am on income support so can get cheap care at rspca vets or the rspca cover my vet bills at my vets but I wont take a rescues money, I dont feel it's right. I decided to get animals so it's me who should be paying for them.
Yes I have to go without to make sure I always have money in my 'emergency vet fund' and all my birthday and xmas money goes on my pets but I dont have to feel guilty about spending other peoples money that way.

I did point out that I wouldn't be getting another bunny at this time - not until I can afford an extra set of innoculations, insurance etc. Sammi, it is admirable that you pay for your bunnies, go with out etc but you also say you get cheap care at rspca vets because you are on income support. So I don't really see your point by saying if someone can't afford neutering etc they can't afford another bunny?
( I do not wan't this to turn into a benefits v's those not on benefits debate)

So I don't really see your point by saying if someone can't afford neutering etc they can't afford another bunny?

This sort of concerns me too. As whilst the everyday care of two bunnies is minimal in comparison to one bun you are effectively increasing your chances of having a bun come down with something or other and need vet treatment which isn't cheap. If an owner has to pay for the spay themselves they will effectively have to think long and hard about whether they can afford it, whilst you clearly have done I am not sure everyone will and that for some it will kind of be an easy way to get an extra bun and may cause more problems in the longrun. I also wonder if it will make people feel pressurised into getting a companion bunny which whilst it is always better for a bun to have a companion I would much rather see a well loved single bunny like Frodo than a pair whos owner felt pushed into getting a companion bun but then couldn't cope with the financial implications. I hope that made sense.

Back