• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"we shall wee in the litter tray...but no poops" UD kinda turned into a neutering pos

amysb86

Alpha Buck
"we shall wee in the litter tray...but no poops" UD kinda turned into a neutering pos

i have posted about this before, but its getting beyond the joke, my 2 buns dandelion and biscuit are 4 months old both boys and perfect in every way (well apart from the odd chewed item, food stealing, hair eating incidents)

all there wee's are done in their litter tray not had any accidents in weeks now, but they poo anywhere literally anywhere all over my floor sofa table anywhere they are, its driving me nuts i pick it all up and put it in the tray like i have read but nothing changes....

any advice oh wise people of RU xx

Last edited:
not neutered yet, was going to wait till after xmas so if anything goes wrong the vets will not be on early closing or anything, i hoover about 3 times a day would getting a carpet cleaner help? as i could borrow my mums xx

not neutered yet, was going to wait till after xmas so if anything goes wrong the vets will not be on early closing or anything, i hoover about 3 times a day would getting a carpet cleaner help? as i could borrow my mums xx

The neutering will help :) Sometimes if you clean up TOO much it can make them mark more but at the moment it's their hormones telling them that they need to mark their territory so until the hormones go you're probably facing a loosing battle!

aww ok then my xmas present to them will be letting the poop everywhere before i take their plums away lol, the most annoying thing is when we visit my mum they do everything in the litter tray i take with me not a single poo outa place, think they are showing off :lol:

Do they live together? I'm making the assumption that they do in what follows, so please forgive me if I am assuming incorrectly. At four months old, I would recommend getting them booked in as soon as you can - there's still a month before vets will be having any Christmas closures, that's plenty of time for recovery. At the age they are now and with their hormones on the increase, they are at increasing risk of suddenly and unexpectedly fighting - and when unneutered boys fight they go straight for the testicles and will attempt to 'castrate' each other. Very painful, very expensive, and will mean that you would end up with two single bunnies who would probably never be able to live together again.

The pooping all over the floor is perfectly normal behaviour for unneutered bunnies, they are using their poos to mark their territory. This again is an indication of rising hormones and an increased risk of a fight.

I don't mean to scare you, but honestly it's really, really common for boy bunnies to start fighting without warning at this sort of age (and usually well before the 5-6 months they'd be if you got them done after Christmas) and the fights get very serious very quickly. For their own sakes I would advise neutering as soon as possible, and a happy side-effect will probably be that they start litter training themselves as they no longer feel the need to mark their territory when the hormones die down.

Good luck x

Last edited:
Do they live together? I'm making the assumption that they do in what follows, so please forgive me if I am assuming incorrectly. At four months old, I would recommend getting them booked in as soon as you can. At the age they are now and with their hormones on the increase, they are at increasing risk of suddenly and unexpectedly fighting - and when unneutered boys fight they go straight for the testicles and will attempt to 'castrate' each other. Very painful, very expensive, and will mean that you would end up with two single bunnies who would probably never be able to live together again.

The pooping all over the floor is perfectly normal behaviour for unneutered bunnies, they are using their poos to mark their territory. This again is an indication of rising hormones and an increased risk of a fight.

I don't mean to scare you, but honestly it's really, really common for boy bunnies to start fighting without warning at this sort of age (and usually well before the 5-6 months they'd be if you got them done after Christmas) and the fights get very serious very quickly. For their own sakes I would advise neutering as soon as possible, and a happy side-effect will probably be that they start litter training themselves as they no longer feel the need to mark their territory when the hormones die down.

Good luck x

:thumb: :love:

I couldn't have worded it better!

Finx was the same before she was spayed - always peed in the tray but pooed wherever she liked - once on the sofa, on my grandma's skirt :shock: Grandma was horrified. Once she was spayed, she confined the poos to inside her cage, but outside the tray. A good compromise!

Now she lives outside with Tango, who does everything in the tray without fail, but Finx still likes to poo all over the hutch :roll:

Do they live together? I'm making the assumption that they do in what follows, so please forgive me if I am assuming incorrectly. At four months old, I would recommend getting them booked in as soon as you can - there's still a month before vets will be having any Christmas closures, that's plenty of time for recovery. At the age they are now and with their hormones on the increase, they are at increasing risk of suddenly and unexpectedly fighting - and when unneutered boys fight they go straight for the testicles and will attempt to 'castrate' each other. Very painful, very expensive, and will mean that you would end up with two single bunnies who would probably never be able to live together again.

Good luck x

have just booked them in for next week :wave: thank you very much for the advice, i would hate to see my fight they love each so much xx didnt realise it could change so suddenly but they will be plumless by this time next week.

how often do ops go wrong should i be worried and what do i need to know about aftercare?
sorry so many questions x

Good stuff, well done! The risks with a male neuter are pretty low really with a decent vet - it's a quick operation and it's not terribly invasive because their 'bits' are on the outside. There's only usually a problem if the bun has some kind of underlying problem which wasn't known at the time, but it's incredibly uncommon and rescues neuter hundreds of bunnies each year without problem :)

Aftercare should be pretty straightforward; keep them somewhere warm and dry, use towels or vetbed for bedding instead of hay/straw for a few days so they don't get bits of it in the wound, make sure they have adequate pain relief for a few days afterwards, try and stop them from nibbling at the wound, make sure they're eating and pooping. Males usually bounce back pretty well after the op, so hopefully it will be fairly simple. If you're worried at all you can always give your vet a ring, and of course we'll all be here to support you too :)

Good luck xx

What Babsie said :)

And... Make sure you ASK for metacam (painkiller) to take home, as some vets dont give it automatically. And you also need to take in a 'packed lunch' for them to eat when they are there and when they wake up. Make sure you get in some of their favourite foods to tempt them to eat after their operation. Ask the vet to keep them together as much as possible when they are there.

Their hormones take a while to die down so dont expect a change straight away.

Good luck!

ok one last problem i cant seem to actually see their balls they are def boys as they have a willy? are their balls small at this age they dont hold still long enough to let me have a good look xx

ok one last problem i cant seem to actually see their balls they are def boys as they have a willy? are their balls small at this age they dont hold still long enough to let me have a good look xx

They can sort of suck them up inside them. Yeah they are pretty small, they look like fluffy little lumps. And lady bunnys' bits can look like willies to the untrained eye, so thats not a guarentee, but I'm sure you've had them sexed. The vet will do so before neutering anyway.

well the last vets i took them to couldnt sex them, they was very young but when i look now its def a willy i see lol needless to say sound a better vets (shame the first ones are a 2 min walk from me so could always rush there is need be as i dont drive but the bunny savvi vet iv found is a 15 mins drive *sigh*)

Back