• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dad home, Finley currently at vets - fluffy lungs now.

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
Before I start I just want to say I am sorry if I ramble. My week has gone from bad to worse. :)

Yesterday I had a phonecall at work to say my dad had been taken to hospital in an ambulance because he had lots all use of his legs. (My dad had a brain haemorrage when I was younger). I went to see him on the admissions ward last night and the nurses really annoyed me. Each nurse told me they knew his history, yet they kept asking silly questions. He is brain damaged and has very poor memory - all in his notes. Yet they asked me if he had any memory problems. He had blood tests and xrays yesterday but nothing has come back yet.

Today he has had brain scans and more blood tests. We are waiting those results now. Should get them tomorrow. My sister went o visit him tonight and nobody seemed to know his history again - he has moved onto a dofferent ward. The man next to my dad asked if he was a manic depressant. :evil:

I rushed back from work tonight and planned to feed and sort all the animals, have tea, then drive to see dad at hospital during the visiting times. However, when I went to feed Finley he was hunched in a ball and his head looked twisted.

I rang the emergency vet straight away and took him in. He had a high temperature, ear infection and is on three lots of medicine (including panacur). He has had a blood test and I need to await results of these. He is not interested in eating food so I bought him critical care. He had pooped lots of bog golden poops for me today. :(

Since being back from the vets I have syringe fed him and given him his medication. I picked him a handful of grass from outside and he has had a couple of blades and a bite of a banana.

Please send positive vibes my way. I don't usually ask but I am feeling very sorry for myself. I am worried sick about my dad and now Finley too. xxx

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time :( I'm sending lots of vibes for you, I really hope things get better soon xxx

Oh hun, I am very sorry you are having to go through all this *hugs*

It must be so frustrating with the staff at the hospital - stupid people! I really do hope your Dad gets better soon!

Hopefully the meds will start taking effect with Finley.

Sending lots of healing vibes your way xxx

Thank you for the vibes. xx

I just fed Finley some more critical care and he had a few mouthfuls of grass. He doesn't want to eat anything else. His medication is once daily, so I am hoping he will start to feel a bit better by the morning.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with so much right now :( I really hope the hospital get their butts in gear and take proper care of your father. How is Finley today? Does he live with another bun, if so have you separated them? When Violet was ill I separated him to monitor his eating but after several days of not eating, I found he picked up and started eating again when he was back with Mai. I really hope Finley and your father get better soon x

Sending vibes for both your Dad and Finley.

I'm guessing as you've said he's on panacur that it is suspected EC?
There have been several threads about EC and headtilt recently and treatments. It's also worth reading about Gemmapookie's Mimi whose headtilt was caused by a severe ear infection.

Did he get a gut stimulant at the vets? (usually metacloprimide) This should also reduce any nausea type symptoms caused by his wonky head. When B was at her worst with EC/tilt she could eat things like leaves but found pellets tricky as she couldn't pick them up. Using a probiotic in the water can also help support the gut while he's not eating nornally.

Sending more vibes. Hope you get to hear the results of the brain scan and blood test today, and get a clearer picture of what is going on.
Might be worth keeping a note of what is happening re his care (brief notes only). Don't be put off asking to meet with sister/consultant if you aren't happy.
Hope Finley picks up soon too.

Back