• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post spay questions for Daisy

Daisy was spayed on Monday morning, she has a few issues afterwards (not eating and got a respiratory tract infection - all now under control!) She started eating again yesterday completly on her own and is pooping and peeing fine :D

Tonight I have let het out of her small area (she's had bed rest) and she's absolutely back to her normal self - she's binkied, stood on her hind legs to investigate, flopped, been head butting my feet etc.... Is this ok for her to be so active? Her wound is fine and she had internal stitches then was glued.

She was scratching to get out so I wanted her to have some time out.

Thanks in advance x

I'm glad the issues have been sorted out and she's pooping, wee-ing and eating again.

But bearing in mind it's only Wednesday so just 2 days since a major op, I'd be quite wary about letting her go too mad. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind - too strenuous a binky and wham! wound will open. If she stretches herself too much it may hurt her wound site and then it'll irritate her so she'll end up scratching it. Don't forget that the pain relief you were given for her is like us having morphine - it's very strong and therefore she won't feel anything until it's too late. My vet said that if ours were racing about and too boisterous for at least 5 days then to keep them caged. I've followed this advice and they are absolutely fine now, exactly a week after they were done. Don't rush it. Plenty of time to play later.

Back