• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor bun waiting all day at the vets for an op!

LainiT

Warren Scout
Grrr...

My little Ellie is in for an op on an abscess that's appeared on her spay scar which was 3 weeks ago. I took her in at 9 this morning and as instructed rang them up after 2 to see how she is...Oh sorry she's not been done yet, the vet has a big space free at 3 so hopefully she'll be seen to then! They had some emergencies come in apparently.

Poor little girl...does this happen often? Luckily I took her brother with her so they're both together but the thought of them both stressing all day just isn't fun!

They said she'll be allowed home at 6 if she wakes up ok...is this enough time for them to make sure she's ok?? Now I have to start all my worrying all over again, I've been clock-watching all morning. Vets have a lot to answer for!

This happened to my Boris when he got neutered, we were told they'd do the op at 1 but when we picked him up at 5 he hadn't come around from the GA yet and was completely out of it :? We never got a good answer as to what had caused the delay though.

That's rubbish, I'd be mega p***ed off about it :evil: like you say, she should be recovering by now. I'd definitely say something when you pick her up x

It is frustrating but looking at it from the other side - would you want an animal that needed emergency surgery to wait for one that is in for scheduled surgery? I'd be happy to know that the vets would put emergencies above the scheduled ops because one day I might need one of my animals to be given priority.

I'm not sure how often it happens but I do remember sitting ages in the waiting room, for an appointment, thinking I'd seen the vet around in the building - what's taking so long :? Then finding out that they'd had a dog been in an RTA rushed in, assessed and PTS while I was waiting :cry::cry::cry:

I hope your bunny recovers well.

Yeah I know you're right, they do have to prioritise like you said, I'm just letting off steam thinking of my buns waiting all day.

Least they've had plenty of time to munch through the huge picnic I packed for them!

Hope she's ok and comes round quickly, not looking forward to her recovery having just nursed her through her spay.:cry:

Awww Poor Ellie! Hope she is sorted soon! x

Both my girls went in to be spayed yesterday morning and had to be there for 8.30am. Poppy was operated on right away but then two emergencies came in and they ran out of time to operate on Daisy so they had to leave her op untill this morning. So poor Daisy was in over 24rs by the time they got round to operating on her :( Also due to the emergencies they had to transfer Poppy (about 6hrs post spay) and Diasy to another branch to ensure that they could operate on D ASAP. Complete nightmare :( but if it was one of mine that needed them emerg then I would want them to sort it out but it is frustrating and worrying for our poor buns!

Daisy woke up a little sleepy from her op and they want to keep them in so they are vet bound for another night! :(

Crikey me! I'm feeling pretty well off right now after your story!

Bless our bunnies, hope your 2 are doing ok. I honestly feel like I have 2 extra kids to worry about since we had our 2 buns come to live with us!

aaah Hope she is ok...I do understand but of course its so frustrating when you are worried and think its all over and you can collect them to find they havent even had their ops yet.
I do think emergencies should come first , but i dont think you should be charged if they have to keep your pet in overnight due to surgery delays if that makes sense.

Hope Ellie will be ok...Im sure they wont let her home if she hasnt eaten or pooped yet...and will give you guidelines about what to watch for etc...lotsa recovery vibes for Ellie:love:

Aaaw cheers for asking. We picked them up at 6. Mav was running round like a loony, Ellie looks v sore hobbled into her bed section and has hardly moved since. Took a while but just got her eating some big basil leaves and a couple of bits of veg. She's v spaced out but I'm so glad she's eaten a little bit. It took her a day or two to come round after her spay so I was kind of expecting this.

She's got proper stitches in that she needs to have taken out though bless her, not looking forward to that one!

Ps hope your two are doing well. It was so strange to not have ours here for a day, you must be missing your girls like mad! Its reassuring though that they have eachother and they will get every helping hand to get them on the fast route to recovery.

Our poor little girls! X

I work for a vets an unfortunately if an emergency (surgery or otherwise, i.e a collapsed dog) comes in then all scheduled routine surgery does get put back. It does happen fairly regularly unfortunately, and as hard as it is being an owner, you have to think if you were in that situation and it was your rabbit that had collapsed that the vet would choose to see your rabbit straight away over doing a dog castrate.

I hope she is doing ok this morning :)

Please please nobody else tell me that emergencies do and should come first. Quite right, its true they should and I never meant to kick off that they shouldn't...if thats the way it sounded then I apologise.

Is always rubbish waiting for news from the vet, so maybe I was a bit stroppy.

Anyway Ellie is very VERY sore bless her, walking as little as possible and very gingerly. she's clearly weed but I'm not sure on the poo situation, they all look too big and healthy in there to be Ellie's...so I've cleared everything out, fresh newspaper and Mav is currently charging round the kitchen while I wait to see if Ellie is doing what she should. She's nibbling bits of leaves, grass, dandelions, hay so hopefully things are on the up.

Bless her she looks so sorry for herself though:(

Aww poor Ellie, hope she is feeling more like her normal self very soon ((hugs)) :love:

My two are doing ok thanks, they will be arriving home soon and I have just sorted out their hutch ready for them...cant wait to get them home!! Although having taken away the downstairs of the hutch (blocked the ramp to stop them going up and down for a few days) and Im struggling to fit in all their creature comforts!! :lol: I feel the need to spoil my beautiful buns!! :)

Our vet always seem to leave rabbits until last as they like to observe them during the morning to make sure they are eating and pooing normally. Things like dentals and abscesses always get left to the very end because of the infection risk :?

Hope your girly is OK :)

Back