• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RWAF Benevolent Fund ?

Brilliant, hope it wasn't P@H, as that'd be like the RWA selling rabbits themselves...

I love how they say they are going to give that money to rescues on the 'front lines'.

I wonder how many of the rescues on RU would see a penny of it.

Rescues, take note, if you are in a crisis situation you can apparently ask for the money!

Cynic, me?

If P@H pet adoption has £10,000 to help rabbits, they would be better to give the money to one of their shops to stop selling rabbits for a while.

£10,000 would 'cover' 400 rabbits by my calculations. a much better use of the money. imo.

but hopefully the money has come from a 'real' good cause. i am keeping an open mind!

Brilliant, hope it wasn't P@H, as that'd be like the RWA selling rabbits themselves...

I love how they say they are going to give that money to rescues on the 'front lines'.

I wonder how many of the rescues on RU would see a penny of it.

Rescues, take note, if you are in a crisis situation you can apparently ask for the money!

Cynic, me?

Thats one way of looking at it or you could look at it another way - The RWAF has spent a long time trying to improve the quality of the products P@H offer for bunnies and another step forward has been to get them to help rescue rabbits who are most in need. Yes they still sell rabbits but maybe it is another small step towards them completely changing their attitude towards bunnies :? Surely it is better for the likes of the RWAF to be working with someone like P@H and gently nudging them in the right direction than leaving them to their own devises ??

I know quite a few rescues on here who have had P@H grants and have been very grateful for the help :)

If they have gave that money it may have been better to spend it on changing their homing policy, making sure people have right sizes hutches, runs and doing home checks. It’s like a company who tests on animals donating money to a campaign to stop testing on animals. Gives the wrong idea but i'm sure the money will help rescues.

Thats one way of looking at it or you could look at it another way - The RWAF has spent a long time trying to improve the quality of the products P@H offer for bunnies and another step forward has been to get them to help rescue rabbits who are most in need. Yes they still sell rabbits but maybe it is another small step towards them completely changing their attitude towards bunnies :? Surely it is better for the likes of the RWAF to be working with someone like P@H and gently nudging them in the right direction than leaving them to their own devises ??

I know quite a few rescues on here who have had P@H grants and have been very grateful for the help :)
Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, it's unrealistic to expect a huge company like P@H to change everything without legal developments to pressure them, especially in relation to an animal whose needs are relatively poorly known by the public. (Imagine the outcry if it were dogs!) It sounds as though things are getting better, and there is every reason to believe they will continue to do so, given the research and likely future regulations about rabbit housing.

A small charity such as the RWAF would be cutting off its nose to spite its face in refusing a reasonable-sized donation like this. The donor may not be fully up to their ethical standards, but at least the money doesn't come from the likes of a fur farm, and it is a good idea for them to keep dialogue open and on good terms with P@H to encourage further policy change.

Given that, as well as the unsold older stock, there will be animals dumped at P@H by former owners, it doesn't seem so bad that P@H put the animals up for adoption themselves rather than dumping them on an underfunded rescue. And I'm glad some of the adoption project money is going to animal charities, even if it's not quite as much as the compnay could probably afford. Maybe it's like those charity Christmas cards you get in department stores, where only 10p per pack actually goes to the charity.

I think the issue here really should be why P@H isn't donating more. They could probably spare the money.

The fund really isn't that big on a national scale. £10k would neuter, say 200 rabbits if the vet charges were lower than average (or perhaps rescues get lower prices).

Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, it's unrealistic to expect a huge company like P@H to change everything without legal developments to pressure them, especially in relation to an animal whose needs are relatively poorly known by the public. (Imagine the outcry if it were dogs!) It sounds as though things are getting better, and there is every reason to believe they will continue to do so, given the research and likely future regulations about rabbit housing.

A small charity such as the RWAF would be cutting off its nose to spite its face in refusing a reasonable-sized donation like this. The donor may not be fully up to their ethical standards, but at least the money doesn't come from the likes of a fur farm, and it is a good idea for them to keep dialogue open and on good terms with P@H to encourage further policy change.

Given that, as well as the unsold older stock, there will be animals dumped at P@H by former owners, it doesn't seem so bad that P@H put the animals up for adoption themselves rather than dumping them on an underfunded rescue. And I'm glad some of the adoption project money is going to animal charities, even if it's not quite as much as the compnay could probably afford. Maybe it's like those charity Christmas cards you get in department stores, where only 10p per pack actually goes to the charity.

I think the issue here really should be why P@H isn't donating more. They could probably spare the money.

The fund really isn't that big on a national scale. £10k would neuter, say 200 rabbits if the vet charges were lower than average (or perhaps rescues get lower prices).

I am glad someone else sees things from my view point. I always prefer to see things as the bad people doing good rather than the good people doing bad - makes my world a better place :D

I am glad someone else sees things from my view point. I always prefer to see things as the bad people doing good rather than the good people doing bad - makes my world a better place :D
Awww. :D

I just see it from the perspective of someone who's worked in the voluntary sector... So many charities wouldn't be able to operate if they turned down funds from companies - or indeed government bodies - whose practices don't wholly align with their objectives.

I dont get it, why on earth would P@H giving money to a good cause, instead of keeping it, be a bad thing?

I dont agree with many of p@h's policies, but as pet shops go they are certainly one of the better ones.

Back