• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

These new higher fibre SS pellets

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
How is everybunny getting on with them? I've noticed that all the poos recently are a lot darker and a bit smaller than normal. I initially chalked this up to a different hay bale so maybe they weren't eating so much but they're eating just as much as they normally do so I'm wondering if it could be the pellets?

I've not noticed a difference but I'll keep an eye out and see what tomorrows litter tray brings!

How is everybunny getting on with them? I've noticed that all the poos recently are a lot darker and a bit smaller than normal. I initially chalked this up to a different hay bale so maybe they weren't eating so much but they're eating just as much as they normally do so I'm wondering if it could be the pellets?

Are they drinking less ?

Remind me not to change my two on to these.

Are there other ingredients that have changed perhaps, that are perhaps slowing the GI tract down?

do they still do the normal SS bags? i had read about the higher fibre ones in a mag but wasn;t sure if they had changed the original ones to them
or not, o rif tehy where a seperate one

Old ingredients
Alfalfa, wheat & wheat feed, soya hulls, flaked peas, linseed (2%), soya & soya oil, sugar beet pulp, salt, lysine, methionine, choline, vitamins and minerals aniseed and fenugreek flavour.

New ingredients
Alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, wheat, wheat feed, flaked peas, linseed (min 2%), beet pulp, soybean meal, soya oil, monocalcium phosphate, salt, calcium carbonate, anise and fenugreek oil (0.2%).

My lot are still refusing to eat them whilst before they'd come rushing over.

To me it seems to have a hell of a lot of soya in it now and I'm not sure about them eating food with stuff like calcium carbonate in it.

Last edited:
I used to feed Dillon wagg optimum, but I bought these new SS higher fibre pellets, he's still changing over very slowly on them, but I have noticed his poos are a LOT smaller than they used to be don't seem as golden either. He's eating probably more hay at the minute with the bag of hay for pets timothy hay, might just go back to wagg, only got these as I was worried about him choking as he's so greedy even when I scatter feed.

I got some samples of these for P&D to try as I wanted to switch them onto them (they are on P@H atm) but they wont touch them. I have put them out 5 evenings in a row and they are still there the next morning :? I dont think i will bother buying a bag. I might try and get a sample of the Allen and page ones? failing that I might just stick to P@H as they only get 8-10 each per day anyway and go nuts for them!...although im doing that morning and night at the moment as they seem hungrier since the colder weather started.

I tried them with Poppy bit she won't touch them, Leo loves them and his poops have become a lot bigger and much more golden :)

Donny and Lola haven't tried them yet. I'm going to mix a few in with the older SS and see how they go :)

The new formula replaces the old one, so everyone will have to change eventually. If you haven't changed yet it's a good idea to stock up on the old stuff so when the new stuff comes you can mix it in very gradually.

Jollyes sell the 10kg bags if you want to stock up.

The new formula replaces the old one, so everyone will have to change eventually. If you haven't changed yet it's a good idea to stock up on the old stuff so when the new stuff comes you can mix it in very gradually.

Jollyes sell the 10kg bags if you want to stock up.

^^ too true...

I didnt even know they were changing them...:oops: so thanks for making this thread!

I just bought a 3kg bag..think its the old one...is the packaging different on the new ones? I didnt see any different ones in the shop either.

The Jolleys near me doesnt even sell SS...I wonder why your one does?:?

^^ too true...

I didnt even know they were changing them...:oops: so thanks for making this thread!

I just bought a 3kg bag..think its the old one...is the packaging different on the new ones? I didnt see any different ones in the shop either.

The Jolleys near me doesnt even sell SS...I wonder why your one does?:?

The bag is a darker green and has a big 22% in the corner (or whatever it is :)) If you live near a Dobbies they have them :) That's where I get mine from, they sell those huge bags too but I have nowhere for one of those :lol:

It's quite curious that some rabbits won't eat them. Mine haven't changed in that regard, they're still going crazy for them. I've sent an email to the manufacturer so that'll be interesting to read once they reply.

Maybe it's just the change. I did think about doing it slow but I didn't have any of the old ones. It's only been a week or so so maybe once we go through the changeover process they'll be back to normal.

It's quite curious that some rabbits won't eat them. Mine haven't changed in that regard, they're still going crazy for them. I've sent an email to the manufacturer so that'll be interesting to read once they reply.

Maybe it's just the change. I did think about doing it slow but I didn't have any of the old ones. It's only been a week or so so maybe once we go through the changeover process they'll be back to normal.

It is, Poppy ignored them completely. She has Mature SS, and I thought we could try her with the new SS because they're good for the tummy and gut and everything, and as she doesn't eat hay it would be great, but I'm not really worried because she loves her mature stuff :)

Leo loves them :) He is on Russell Rabbit (when we opened the new bag the previous owners gave us I noticed it was different, took the old bag out of the bin and he had been going from the Junior to the Adult versions... shows how much they cared :roll: didn't even look at the bag :evil:) but he loves them :) He is currently having 9 pellets as well as some of his food :) we have been decreasing his food too so his poops are fab :thumb:

I don't think I'll have a problem with Donny and Lola. They eat anything lol.. :lol:

Back