• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bit worried about scooter

shadow05

Mama Doe
not sure if i shud take him to the vets to be sure. its probably just me being a bit paranoid. i noticed other day that hed been grooming himself more and thought nothing of it because it looks like his coats malting again for the 4 time in the past 4 months i dont know if this is normal. anyways he was sat outside his cage all bundled up and i watched him for a secounded it looked like he had hiccups or something.

im just worrying because im suppose to be going away in decemeber for 5 days and i sort of always worry about him when i go away. my mom says that she wont let him out while im away and im still trying to get things sorted in the room to make it safe for him when im not here. ive decided for now that dividing the room in half is the best idea and move the stuff that is dangerous to him out of the way on the other side. but then my only problem is my mom and my bloody brothers who cant seem to leave anything alone. they know he walks around my room sometimes during the day theres a sign on my door telling them that but yet they come in and leave doors open.

im srry i guess im sort of worrying about wat to do with him. it turns out that my mom found out that the house we live in is in worser condition than she though and after xmas is over shes going to get us to help blitz the house and then shes going to constantly complain to the council until they do something about it because the house falling apart. they put a combey boiler in a house that was biult before the war and the house cant cope with it mould and damp is growing in places that it shudnt. the council keep saying that its because the house doesnt get warm enough but my mom doesnt have the money to keep the heating on. im just worrying about scooter health mostly ive places his cage on the other side of the bad wall that gets damp and im drying the wall everyday and ventalating it the best i can while keeping the room at an okay temp for us both.

theres other stuff too?

some of its just out of character for him. the other day i stayed at bfs house for once in a very long time. my mom was looking after him and she kind og fed him late the next day and she was putting his food in and he properly growled at her and normally they get along well and when im gone he behaves a lot better for :roll: i dont know why i give him more attention when im here but she doesnt spend much time with at all these days.

Re. damp, is there any possibility of getting a dehumidifier, or even more than one? (Given what you said about not putting on the heating to save money, maybe a new one is outside your budget - but perhaps one might turn up on Freecycle, car boot or similar)

It might improve the air a bit for everyone's health whilst waiting for the council to get their act together

Mould spores can cause all manner of respiratory issues. If he is displaying respiratory issues (sneezing as mentioned the other day, 'hiccups' ? amongst others) then he needs to see a vet.

You can shout at me for my next line, but i have Scooters welfare at heart.

You have commented time and time again, that you will save the money to pay for his neuter, his vaccinations, his accomodation improvements, etc. There always seems to be some excuse for not having it done. I completely appreciate that money may be difficult, but if thats the case, why did you get a pet? We can only advise you, if you choose not to take that advice that is completely and utterly 100% up to you. Nobody can force you to, but i really think you need to sit down and sort yourself out with regards to what is best for you and Scooter in the long run. The same questions are asked, we give the same answers, and it just seems to be roundabouts.

May i point you in the direction of this thread;

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?298713-When-to-Seek-Vet-Attention-for-your-Rabbit

May i suggest you read it, understand it, and ask any questions you may have once you've done that, and then act upon the knowledge you have gained by reading it.

Re. damp, is there any possibility of getting a dehumidifier, or even more than one? (Given what you said about not putting on the heating to save money, maybe a new one is outside your budget - but perhaps one might turn up on Freecycle, car boot or similar)

It might improve the air a bit for everyone's health whilst waiting for the council to get their act together

i looked into that and i get 50 quid every 2 weeks at the moment its being used to sort my room out and to stock the rabbits stuff up again but when im finished i think ill get one.

he seems alright apart from the weird behaviour and ive only seen him do it once. at first i thought it was because it was too cold in here for him. i do have a convector heater but it takes a lot of electrike and doesnt keep the room warm for very long.

i was going to take him anyway i just came on here to get it off my chest and for people to suggest some things.

the way i see it hes nearly 2 and never had to go to the vets yet. which i think is quite good for him. he seems alright other than the fur loss every so often at the moment its his chest u cant see the skin or anything theres just a patch of white fur there which im guessing is his under coat. i also watch him for a while every so often when hes napping or laying down and every so often hell start moving weird im not on about breathing i know that rabbits breath fast but it looks like a cough or a hiccup but u dont hear a sound or anything. its confusing but i will take him in as next week when i get paid until there ill keep a close eye on him like always.

i have tried listening to his breathing but its not so easy when u dont have a stephascope but he sounds okay.

Back