• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long bunny journey

Fayelou

Alpha Buck
When I move from Manchester to Northern Ireland probably in about a years time, I will need to transport Simba with me.

The journey is probably 9 hours in total approximately. Would this be safe?

Has anyone done a long journey with their bun and if so, how did you get on? We would want to transport her on the ferry (taking the car)

I think most people who have done that have split the journey into several parts..you know..travelling for maybe 2 or 3 hours then stopping for the day, spending the night somewhere and then continuing the next day or the day after that. I'm not sure about that though, surely that could be even more stressful for a bunny? I'm sorry I can't be of any help but hopefully someone else will be able to give you some good advice on this :)

Thanks very much for the response xx

We are willing to hire a van to make her more comfortable, thought it would be ideal to let her travel in her indoor cage?

Really would welcome people's experiences.

We did a 6 hour journey with a baby bunny without a break, he was great, didn't bother him one bit. But we have made short journeys with bunnies that have been on the verge of collapse, so it really does depend on the individual bunny. If he is a laid back bun in the car I am sure the journey wont bother him at all :)

Little Simba has only ever been in the car to the vets (about 20 mins) and it's hard to tell as she has just been on my knee and I guess it's very different. Last time she came back from the vet she was very tired afterwards.

I guess I want to make her feel like she isn't in a car at all, if possible?

I took my then year old bunny Sharik on a 14 hour minivan ride, and learnt the following:

1. Eating (especially a tasty treat) takes my bunny's mind of just about everything
2. On an uneven road, make sure stops are frequent so that bunny can have a drink and a bit to eat without worrying about being impaled by her drinking bottle
3. Stopping for some fresh air, and if possible a quick run in a playpen, and maybe even a light snooze every 3 - 4 hours does wonders for stress
4. Sometimes, sitting on daddy's lap having her head stroked is better than the carrier bag
5. Don't even think about speaking to her or touching her for at least 24 hours following the ordeal - provide plenty of food and water though :)

I do think it's very individual, but she'd been on car rides before without any noticeable stress, so I took the chance... Whenever we take a car to the vet now, she is very calm about it, if I have her in my lap rather than in a carrier bag, that is :)

Thank you very much for your detailed response, that is much appreciated.

Simba is a bit of a wriggle bun so I would never be able to keep her on my knee unfortunately. She will hopefully (providing her snuffles get better) be spayed by then which should calm her down a bit as well.

Last time we went to the vets (she was in a Pet Caddy from pets at home) she was on my knee in the front passenger seat and before we set off I opened it a bit to give her a nose rub and she was just dying to leap out and jump everywhere!

I think dogs in the vet waiting room have scared her a bit, but sure she will be ok if she gets to munch on some nice carrot :)

The first 4 hours she would be in the car, the the car would be still for 3 hours on the ferry so I think she would be ok then?

Then it is an hour and 40 mins to drive from the ferry port to new house, so quite a day for a little bun!

I understand your apprehensions! We moved to the south of France in October last year. We decided that it would be best to do the trip all at once.. 22 hours later we arrrived atour new home with 3 rabbits in the back! We stopped often for pats, feeding of fresh grass, a little stretch etc. they were fine...but the first few hours were a bit stressful for them though. They had a dirt box with hay in the travel hutch, and a water bottle attached. I spoke to them often so they knew we were with them. I placed a blanket over the travel hutch as to help keep them a bit calmer.

hope this helps!

they were fine. a little shaken.. but eager to get out and explore their new surroundings! i'm actually planning to take them back to the UK in about a months time.. both my partner and I have work lined up back there ( we normally try to work it so one of us is always here) and i am going to put them in boarding.

It's actually better to keep them in a fairly confined area, such as a carry case, covered with a towel/fleece and frequent stops to give water/food. However, they may not want water/food when YOU want to stop, so be aware of that.

If they are not in a confined space, they can slip/slide and hurt themselves, so be aware of this also.

I also wouldn't put a water bottle on the cage as it will drip as you go over bumps thus ending up with a wet cage and rabbit.
Much better to leave high water content fruit and veg in the carrier, and plenty of hay.

Back