• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Yes Im worried,MY BABY HAS LEFT ME.

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Lily isnt looking too fantastic.Her face is dirty,and her back feet were all dirty and a bit yellow.
So I gave her a little botty/leg wash.Warm water,and dried her off well.

She got stressed and was mouth breathing.Frightened the living daylights out of me.Thought I was going to lose her.
Left her comfy and on a fleecey blankie instead of her usual hay bed.

Rushed home from work this evening and shes all clean and fluffy and relieved to say, comfy and not stressed.

Shes seeing Ian on friday.

Im sure I didnt do her any favours but she looked so unkempt and ghastly.

What the hell do I do?? I dont want to cause more problems to add to what shes already got.

Tell me I was wrong to clean her.But she cant do herself.She really needs help now.

Last edited:
Its so hard.Will I really know when to stop doing stuff?? Am I putting her through too much????

I would stop washing her right now (with water anyway, maybe just give her a wipe) as it sounds like she is at risk of pnuemonia.

Has she stopped mouth breathing now?

Sending lots of vibes for both of you xxxx

Can you give her a flannel bath or wet wipes??

Would she be cleaner if you bedded her on towels/fleeces (with piles of hay to munch).

I remember when my bun had abcesses, she had an indoor cage. We used to put LOADS of newspaper (flat) under a towel or fleecey.... it helped soak up wees (she wasnt litter trained). Obviously, it meant lots of towels and blankies, and she was cleaned out twice a day. I dont know if that may help? I dont know what shes bedded on.

Its hard. She needs to be clean, but she needs not to be stressed. :(

*massive hugs* xxx

Can you keep her on Vetbed/Towels now and change them a few times a day ? It may help to keep her cleaner.

If she gets stressed from handling then it will impact on her respiratory issues,so you will need to consider this when discussing her options with your Vet. If she can remain cleaner on the Vetbed/Towels it will obviate the need for constant bathing. But if not then obviously it may be time to think about a difficult decision :cry: But that decision can only be made by you and your Vet.

I am sorry that she is coping less well now :cry:

She stopped mouth breathing when she became settled.Took a few minutes.
Ive got vet bed and soft fleeces.It maybe coming to that now:(
She is eating ok but the big thing will be friday when shes weighed.If shes lost more weight (and I dont think she has) then we will have to think a bit more seriously.
I know I wont be able to drive home if its time......:cry:

She stopped mouth breathing when she became settled.Took a few minutes.
Ive got vet bed and soft fleeces.It maybe coming to that now:(
She is eating ok but the big thing will be friday when shes weighed.If shes lost more weight (and I dont think she has) then we will have to think a bit more seriously.
I know I wont be able to drive home if its time......:cry:

I really really hope not. :cry:

She had deteriorated so badly over night I took her to Ian this morning.
My baby.My Lily-Shane.Shes gone.

Back