• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril Injectable

MichG

Mama Doe
My poor little foster bun Harry has come down with really really runny/watery poops today :( and is looking and feeling very sorry for himself. Vet has sent me home with some Baytril injectable to give twice a day. When she gave it there he reacted really badly to it, like it really stung.
He nearly jumped off the table trying to scratch and stop the stinging :( has anyone else had experience of this?
Is there anything I can do to lessen this? I have to give it in a few hours and I am dreading his reaction :(

Poor little lad.

Poor Harry.

Did your vet show you how to inject in and where? (Excuse my ignorance if you have done this before.) x

I work at a vets as an Auxillary Nurse so have done a fair few jabs :D

Never Baytril though :( and never seen anything react so much to a jab.

Hmm I do remember something about having to dilute it for the rat as it can cause burns and sores. Sorry not much help. :?:oops:

I work at a vets as an Auxillary Nurse so have done a fair few jabs :D

Never Baytril though :( and never seen anything react so much to a jab.

I see! I thought that would have been odd otherwise :lol:

Baytril is quite a thick liquid isn't it, which is why I think it's quite painful. Diluting it sounds like a good idea, but I would with some one more experienced first x

I have given injectable Baytril before. undiluted straight from the bottle and never had a problem. Harry had quite a large dose once daily (he is over 3kg and had 20mg/kg daily) for a few weeks and I never saw any reaction from him, I don't think he necessarily even noticed me injecting him. Perhaps try changing the needle size and seeing if that makes a difference, are you using a new needle to inject with, that might also help as there won't be any Baytril left on the outside of the syringe from where you've drawn it up out of the bottle.

My understanding of Baytril is that it works best on peak blood plasma concentration rather than consistent low levels, so these days it's generally recommended to give a higher dose once daily rather than two doses. It might be worth chatting with your vet about this, because it may be more effective given more once a day and obviously it will halve the number of injections you have to do.

Last edited:
I have given injectable Baytril before. undiluted straight from the bottle and never had a problem. Harry had quite a large dose once daily (he is over 3kg and had 20mg/kg daily) for a few weeks and I never saw any reaction from him, I don't think he necessarily even noticed me injecting him. Perhaps try changing the needle size and seeing if that makes a difference, are you using a new needle to inject with, that might also help as there won't be any Baytril left on the outside of the syringe from where you've drawn it up out of the bottle.

My understanding of Baytril is that it works best on peak blood plasma concentration rather than consistent low levels, so these days it's generally recommended to give a higher dose once daily rather than two doses. It might be worth chatting with your vet about this, because it may be more effective given more once a day and obviously it will halve the number of injections you have to do.

I agree with Santa

Well, the article does says the abscesses can form in rare cases, I wouldn't take the chance, but that's just me.

He is quite a highly strung little bunny and doesn't sit still for long, even when poorly, he was trying to hop around the living room last night and his belly sounded like a hot water bottle (all sloshy) every time he hopped. He just scracthes at the area. I changed all the needles after drawing up as they can get slightly blunt after going through the bottle top. And I am using an orange needle with him, so its not too big.

I think he just reacts to make me feel guilty!!

I will definitely talk to the vet today about giving it to him once instead.

I am not too worried about abcesses as he is only going to be on it for 3 days and I think that is VERY rare to cause such a reaction, more likely to get the red irritation I would think.

A slight tangent, but wondering whether any of you who have injected antibiotics before could advise me. I'm having to inject Mango with antibiotics at the moment but last night the needle must have been exiting just as the last drop was going in. That means some of it went into the dermal layer... My vet said to avoid that at all costs as the area goes scaley and itchy. The thing is it has gone really quite bruised looking, has a little lump and Mango is ultra sensitive there even when i just move the fur which comes from that site.
Does anyone know whether this goes by itself, or if there's anything i should do? whether i should talk to the vet? I still have another 2-3 injections to give him and i'm scared now!
help?!

Didn't want to read and run, but I really don't know, but I would call the vet tomorrow. Hope everything is ok and that someone reads this that can answer

Good news, vet says it's all ok, just need to keep an eye on the area. If that patch loses fur i'll need to put cream on but thats it. Phew!!

Back