• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Life long snuffles - shorter lives?

Fayelou

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone

My vet said to me last time that Pasturella can't be cured and can only be treated (the symptoms)

My little bun has had them and they have got worse and worse really, but she is always happy and it doesn't seem to bother her with all the sneezing and snot, most of the time.

We have had 3 vet visits so far, and there are sure to be more. I only got her in August.

Has anyone managed to have a long and happy life with a snuffles bun?

I am constantly scared of pnemonia developing or something!

Ginger has snuffles (amongst other things), and has had them since she was 6 months old. At just over 18 months old, she still has them.

She'll have them forever too, but i'm not sure the 'snuffles' part of it would play a part in the length of life unless the RTI causes damage to the buns body in other ways.

I guess I was just thinking that the long courses of medication etc could have a negative effect.

Poor little ginger. How is she now? Is she on constant treatment? I know she has had other problems as well x

Leela also had pasturella that couldn't be cured. Unfortunately she did go on to develop pneumonia which got to a point where the only kind thing to do was to let her go, she was only 2 years old :(

I had a bunny called bunny and he had a life time battle with snuffles. He lived to 7 years old and seemed to love life. The winter used to be bad for him and just alittle bit more tlc was needed but he was fine and loved life to the end. He seemed alot quieter to my other bunnies and loved to sit and cuddle with you alot more than the others and seemed to not run around as much as the others but when he was warm and happy he loved life and treats. I used to give him his snufflesafe alittle earlier than the others just to make sure he was kept warm.

hope this helps

Smudge had snuffles. Unfortunately that developed into pneumonia and she died.

She was fine the night before, my mum got up that morning and opened her cage when she shot out (smudge didn't move very fast at all) and sat by the radiator with her head tilted back breathing through her mouth. We took her to the emergency vet (although I did give her a bit of a rub to encourage her to beathe and blew in her nose). They give her steroids, antibiotics and put her in an oxygen tent. She did settle down but she died at about 6 that evening which was about 12 hours after we took her in. She was 2 and a half.

I am so worried about that, I assume buns with pnuemonia start mouth breathing, become very lethargic?

Yes she did, she got so weak she couldn't hold her head up properly or eat. Leela came from appalling conditions and never got the treatment she needed straight away so that probably caused it to take hold in a way it wouldn;t have done had she been given the right treatment from the start

Santa developed snuffles shortly after I got her in 2005 and she died last year aged 7, so depending on it's cause(s) and how well it can be controlled, there's no reason that a snuffles bun can't live a long and happy life with a very good quality of life :)

I have a snuffles bun - she came from rescue and must have had really bad pasturella in her original home as it turns out she has very little healthy lung tissue left.

However - the rescue said she was about 4 years when I rehomed her and she has been with us about 4 years now!!! so not doing badly!!

We got Tommy 5yrs ago from a rescue, he was at least 2yrs old. Soon after we got him I took him to the vets cos he was snotty/sneezy, he had a course of baytril but it didnt completely cure it. Then he was going for his boosters and the vet explained some buns are just snotty/sneezy. We had him just over 5yrs so he was at least 7, he only had that one course of baytril up to the weekend we lost him.

I took him Thurs and was given baytril, we thought he had flared up cos his partner had died a couple of weeks earlier and he was grieving. Saturday he was in the nebuliser at the vets for a couple of hours, loads of injections but he was mouth breathing, Sunday we repeated saturday but the vet rang and said we needed to let him go.

He had 5 fantastic years with a very happy partner and a great bunny friendly set up, so yes maybe without snuffles he would have lived longer but 7+ years for a 4.5kilo bunny aint so bad. Having said that we miss him dreadfully even with our new bunnies here.

I am sorry to hear some buns have had a shortened life due to snuffles :(

Pleased to hear other buns managed to fight and enjoy life.

I have been home 2 hours and not heard Simba sneeze yet, and she was a good girl and ate her baytril mashed in with her banana :)

Back