• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do Rabbits Mind the Dark?

Janey

Warren Veteran
When I lived at my Parent's I always used to leave the light on for the bunnies if I went out after dark, however, now I have moved out, I'm alot more aware of the elctricity bill :D

So, I was wondering, do you think bunnies mind the dark and does it make a difference if the light is off? It's not completely dark because the curtains are open and light from the streetlights etc comes in. I figure wild rabbits spend a lot of their time in the dark and mine don't seem to react when I put the light off.

What do people think?

Would like to know the answer to this as well!

Simba stays in my bunny proof bathroom during the day when I am at work and I always leave the light on as it would be complete darkness for her in there otherwise as there is no window in my bathroom.

Good question x

I would say that they don't mind the dark, cause... well it's not really naturel for it to be light all of the time. If you see what I mean.

-xxx-

ps. You've got gorgeous buns( with gorgeous names, too)! :love: P&P

Last edited:
Don't be daft! Course they don't mind the dark! Mine live outdoors in their hutch in the shed and it's pitch black out there as there's no street lights out the back. The only source of light therefore is the moon and stars but to be honest the window in the shed is quite small and therefore it's pitch.

Right, that will save me some money on electricity!!

My OH kept saying I was being daft leaving the light on, best not show him this thread :lol:

Louie's blind so he has no choice, though I do leave the telly or radio on for him if he is home alone :oops:

I know the dark doesn't bother them, but does anyone know about a sudden change? for instance, turning a light on or off.

I'm putting some net lights on the roof of my shed but I don't want to affect them by going out there when it's pitch black, putting them in bright light, then suddenly turning them off again. :?

We make sure they always have a light on when it gets dark, now we leave the house and get home in the dark their lights are on timers. I worry about them:oops:

No, they don't mind the dark.

My two run about the room mental at night, and i never leave a light on in there!

Mine don't care at all, I'm not leaving a light on for them, I have to sleep in the same room!

We have a security light outside..sometimes it goes on and they squint abit at the brightness, but I dont htink they mind too much...and I dont htink they mind the dark either really...:? as long as they feel safe wherever they are.:)

mind dont mind the dark :)

but does anyone know if horses do because our neighbour has 3 and leaves the stable light on all night ?

I don't think they'd mind being in the dark. Its prob unavoidable sometimes but if it was me, I wouldn't repeatedly put the lights on and off so that they were going from pitch black to bright light and back again. Hate it if OH puts the light on in the morning when I am still asleep:evil::lol:

The only time mine had a fright was when we had a powercut! I was sitting all lights blazing, watching TV and everything went off suddenly! both D&D bolted, from flopped positions on the carpet, into boxes and had a stamping session!

ETA: and they didnt like the candlelight I think it was the flickering and movement of shadows!

Mine didn't mind being in the dark at all. He slept in my bedroom.

He did mind the emergence of potential predators outside at night, & would bring himself upstairs when it got dark if he was alone downstairs. He was fine if I was dowmstairs with him.

Ok....so maybe a bit of a silly question :lol: Needless to say the only light on in my flat right now is the one in the lounge where I am-if they want light they can come in here. ;)

Although, just to make it clear (that I'm not that soft or stupid), they do have the light off in their room all night, I just meant in the evening really, I think perhaps I was assuming they have the same routine as me (which they obviously don't) :lol: . At least I can keep the light off safe in the knowledge it's just like them being in a burrow.

Thank you obsessedwithanimals, that's very kind of you to say so :)

I have a outside light for the bunnies its put on when it starts to get dark and is switched off when i have covered them over to go to bed if it gets dark and i'm late putting it on harry will stomp as he is scared of the dark if he can see out :roll::roll::roll:

I turn the lights on when it gets dark, until we go to bed. Then all the lights are turned off, all bunnies assume their sleeping positions (M&C on the sofa, T&M in their bed) and they sleep all night :shock: I can tell coz theres never any poos on my bedroom floor over night and as soon as they wake up in the morning the poos reappear :roll:

I put the light on in my room on an evening even if I'm not in, but more because I want them to know that when it's dark is when I sleep :lol: If it was dark all the time they'd get used to it and use it as their hyper time! Which they used to do :lol:

Back