• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

P&D are in for their spay. FINALLY more news! P21

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave: Morning,
Well P&D are now at the vets ready for their spays :? I can ring after 2pm and we are picking them up tomorow.

While they did the pre-op examination they said tat Poppy might have dental issues in the future as her back teeth are slighly misaligned? They said just to make sure she eats plenty of hay and hopefully we can keep it at bay. They are both great grass/hay eaters and thats all I feed them along with a tiny amount of pellets for breakfast (8-10 pellets). They get fresh herbs most days too.

Im guessing there are a fair few of you with misaligned teeth experience so I just wondered wether you think the hay eating will keep it at bay or wether we are in for dental issues anyway? Apart from that they both seem healthy and happy bunnies.

Now roll on 2pm so that I can ring and check on them. There is someone at the vets 24/7 and I just feel happier knowing that they have the knowledge to do the liquid feed if they need it, check their wounds etc. I feel like a new mum at the moment!! I do feel bad though and Im looking forward to getting them home tomorow.

Last edited:
Re the dental issues, every dental bun is different unfortunately. For example, If the dental issue is misaligned jaw, then no amount of hay eating is going to 'stop' the bun needing dentals, but it may extend the time between the dentals.

Lots of good spay vibes :)

Thanks for your reply :) She said the teeth were misaligned but I think i will double check/clarrify with her, just so that im prepared...I was a bit flappy when I dropped them off :( Poor girls!!

Only came on here coz I was thinking of you Megansmummy, and your girlies of course.

I hope all goes well and they recover quickly.

(my 2 did mini binkies today in the utility so they're coming on in, erm, leaps and bounds :lol: )

Thank you Angie and im so so pleased that your girls are feeling so much better!! :) Fingers crossed that Poppy and Daisy recover just as nicely! I cant stop thinking about them :( I wonder if they are done now :?

They might be able to get a better look while they are under GA and give you a better idea later :) hope everything goes well.

Poppy has been done and is awake and ok :) but daisy hasnt been done yet becuase an emergancy came in so they are seperate at the momet :(

Will the fact they have been temporarliy seperate effect them? they are going to put Daisy straight in with poppy as soon as she is out of theatre. She said they will have to wear neck collar thingis. I need to ring back at 5.30pm for an update on Daisy.

I was so hoping I could stop worrying by now :(

Why are they putting them in a neck collar? Mine didn't have one and the vet wanted to go all out to avoid this as it puts them off eating their food. I'd phone them back and question this. Neither of mine bothered with their wound sites either - licked them a teeny bit on the Wednesday once back home but then left them be.

I wouldn't have thought the temporary separation will bother them as they'll be too groggy to care I would think. It's only for a couple of hours anyway.

If possible you really don't want them in a neck collar, as it means they can't groom, or eat their caecals, which as you know = bad.

Neck collar should be a last resort, if bun keeps chewing at stitches.

Been thinking about you and your girls today. I'm pleased Poppy is ok. I know all too well how nerve wracking this all is!

I was quite surprised to read that they were using a neck collar too - poor buns will be uncomfortable with this and like others have said they won't be able to eat, groom etc. All Daisy has really wanted to do is lay on her side since getting her home, as I imagine it is quite uncomfortable for her to lay on her abdomen, where the wound is. Daisy has groomed the area a little bit, but she has internal stitches so she can't pull at them.

As you know, I bought Daisy home last night and she was very quiet and hardly eating so I got up throughout the night every 2 hours to syringe fed her, then this morning she was breathing funny so I took her back to the vets and she is on baytril as well as metacam. But she is eating by herself now, still very quiet but pooping and eating which is all good news.

Do your vets have 24 hour nurses there? I'm sure both buns will be fine, minus the neck collars.

Take care x

Thank you for your replies.

There was yet another emergency at the vets and she vet herself has just called me...they have been unable to do Daisys operation today :( So they are transfering them to the stafford branch which is a much bigger branch (one of the main ones of the group). The vet is taking them and she is on night shift there tonight. She said they are back together at the moment but she is keeping a close eye on them. she understood my concerns about keeping them together and also about the neck collars. She said the only time they need to be seperated is when they are waking up from the GA but they will put them next to each other for that short time.

Im so stresed out, I have been in tears this afternoon. Daisy is first on the list for tomorow morning. Poppy hasnt eaten anything since her surgery and so the vet was about to syringe feed her some liquid food.

My poor poor girls, they must be so stressed out :cry: The stafford branch is near hubbys office so im going to ask if he can pop in tomorow lunchtime and check on them. I feel sick :(

Awww, hun - try not to worry about them. It's unfortunate that they both couldn't be done at the same time. It took me 24 hours to get my Daisy eating on her own, and now she's slowly but surely eating more.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you x

oh no Megansmummy that's rotten luck :(

At least they've put them together now so they've got each other for company and Daisy will be done tomorrow instead for sure.

Our vet said not to worry about them not eating until the following day, then if they hadn't eaten overnight to call the vet's the next morning, so try not to worry too much that Poppy's not eating much at the moment.

It's good that a nurse or vet is on hand so they are in the best place so try not to stress yourself out too much, though I know that's easier said than done.

Sending vibes for your girlies :love:

Ahhh i'm so sorry your going through this extra stress, how awful for you. Just try & concentrate on the fact they have each other & that will be a confort to them.

My Poppy didnt eat for several days after her spay so as others have said, try not to worry about it yet, she's had a funny day so eating is probably the last thing she feels like doing.

Lots of vibes for Daisy in the morning & also Poppy & her eating. I hope you manage to get some sleep.x.x.

Thank you, I just called the vets and poppy took her syringe feed ok through the night and is doing ok this morning, they have just changed shifts so the vet said when I ring back at 2pm to check on daisy that they will let me know what poppy has been eating :)

Fingers crossed all goes smoothly this morning. Will be thinking of your little ones, hope they are home soon.

Back