• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Glucosamine or other joint supplements?

nessar

Warren Veteran
Does anyone use them? And if so in what form and what dosage? Did your vet reccommend or did you research it yourself?

for rabbits do you mean? when rosie was poorly and got old, our vet gave us some special rabbit food with glucosamine in it called vetmed, i think,
cannot remember rightly, to give to her with her usual burgess junior, however she didn;t like it :lol:

Yes for rabbits :lol: sorry should have mentioned that!

I've seen that brand, but the fibre content is 16% and the protein 12%, which are both lower than I wanted, I'm changing Barney to a higher protein food because of his weight loss.

Thanks for replying though! If need be I could always feed a mix of this and junior food.

I give Alfred a mix of the Burgess Excel Senior - this has glucosamine in it, he still has some SS though as he loves that..

Synoquin Cat capsules at a dose of 1 capsule per day (removed from capsule and mashed into small piece of banana). Recommended by exotics referral and own vet.

Can also use things like Arthri-Aid, Cartrophen etc. Many options available.

Glucosamine helps to keep joints mobile but it won't delay the process of arthritis. The best thing for that is NSAID's as the anti-inflammatory action helps limit the joint damage from inflammatory processes and of course it also helps with the pain. :)

Synoquin Cat capsules at a dose of 1 capsule per day (removed from capsule and mashed into small piece of banana). Recommended by exotics referral and own vet.

Can also use things like Arthri-Aid, Cartrophen etc. Many options available.

Glucosamine helps to keep joints mobile but it won't delay the process of arthritis. The best thing for that is NSAID's as the anti-inflammatory action helps limit the joint damage from inflammatory processes and of course it also helps with the pain. :)

Thanks, the vets think Barney may be older than what P@H estimated him to be (they couldnt remember what the owner said when she brought him in for rehoming) and with him being a large rabbit as well we did discuss whether he could be getting a bit stiff or painful, and he hasnt properly binkied for months :( but I dont know if thats because he's just not as excitable since his neutering and since I gave him more space, as the binkies used to happen when he was let out of his small cage. Basically I thought that the fact that he is super-sensitive to dental pain may have something to do with some sort of underlying daily pain and stiff joints seems the most likely one.

So I'm assuming that if it is joint pain a course of 2 months glucosamine should give an improvement, right? But the vet said she couldnt find anything on glucosamine and rabbits, not sure how hard she looked though if some rabbit foods have it in.

I'm using Arthri-Aid for one of my buns, which contains glucosamine and chondroitin. It comes in liquid form and we give 0.5ml daily, as well as pain relief. Both were discussed with the vet before using, but we researched which glucosamine product people used on here and compared the different types on Vet UK website, then discussed with our vet what was the best choice for our bun.

Back