• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you ever get over the guilt?

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
How do you ever get over the guilt? I miss Frasier so much. He is my first rabbit to pass over to the bridge and to have PTS. I love him so much. I just hope he knows. I usually pick up on when they are sick and get the vet and recovery well.

This time it all happened so fast. One day he seemed fine and then the next he was breathing badly. TOok him to the vet and then..... Why why why did I not pick on something. There must have been clues that I didn't spot. I miss him so much.

You don't... It's not your fault, but you always wish you'd done things differently. Even if it wasn't possible to do it differently, the pain of losing a little creature you loved so much makes you wish you could have destroyed space and time just to make things ok for them

You have nothing to feel guilty about. A lot of the time we notice something is wrong and can get vet help and make them well again. But sometimes we dont notice. They are so good at hiding their illnesses or it happens too quickly for anyone to help we don't stand a chance of getting them help in time. It's a cruel fact of having rabbits unfortunately. I am really sorry for your loss.

I know the guilty feeling :( I've never had a bun pts, but I put Jazzy in for her spay and she died during the op :cry: I feel so very guilty, if I hadn't had her spayed she could still be alive :cry: I also feel guilty that I swapped Sox into a bigger hutch then a few hours later he died of stasis.:cry:

But when I done both of these things, I was thinking about what's best for them. Jazzy was spayed so she could live with a husbun and Sox moved hutch because his was too small. Not because I was trying to hurt them.

Think about that with Frasier. When you had Frasier pts, you were only thinking about him. He never had to suffer because you helped him to the bridge. That was such a kind thing to do, giving him a peaceful, dignified passing. You have nothing to feel guilty about, but I know it can be hard to see that sometimes (((BUG HUGS))).xxxxx

I think it the sadness of loosing your little one that you never get over. Guilt comes and goes, if i had done this, if i had found a better vet, if i had followed my gut instincts (my personal questions, i have to live with) but that comes with the answers when you are feeling stronger...i did my best, i did what was right at the time, i know i did everything for my little one that i could have done. x

Romy it sounds as though Frasier had acute onset pneumonia. This can strike ANY Rabbit and as the name 'acute' suggests symptoms come on rapidly and can be fatal within hours :cry: I know for a FACT that if it had been possible to pick up on his illness earlier you would have done so.

Sometimes the loss of a much loved Rabbit can happen and it is no-ones fault. But because we love them so much we are bound to doubt ourselves, feel we should have done more. But in reality there was nothing more we or any Vet, however skilled, could do :cry:

((((((((((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))))))

Back