• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disposing of bunny waste

Hayley1987

Warren Scout
Does everyone have tons of black bin bags filled with bunny poop and newspaper? I always have too many bags for my council bin, they collect normal waste every other week but this is never enough - I need a trip to the dump :shock: I had a compost bin at my old property but that wasn't much help either as it would fill up almost instantly!

How do you all deal with bunny waste?

We split out the bunny poo with the hay and megazorb from the newspaper. Paper goes in the black sacks unless it's clean enough to be recycled and the rest goes in the green waste at the tip. We do about 16 large garden 100lt tarpulin bags each week:oops:

We have a garden waste wheelie bin which is collected from our house every fortnight but im almost filling it each week...I keep pushing all the hay down with the broom to squeeze more in!!

Before the bunnies, I used to pride myself on usually throwing away only one carrier bag of non recyclable rubbish a week, but now the wheelie bin is about 3/4 full by collection time - I've been quite shocked how much rubbish they create. Once they've been spayed I'm going to try old towels and blankets as cage lining as their litter habits will hopefully get tidier again.

Is using different cage lining an option for you? (Sorry, I'm assuming you don't have lots of rabbits and this isn't just their litter tray contents...)
If you're a one or two adult household reducing other rubbish might be possible, but I can see how that's a lot harder with kids, or lots of people around.

Its just me and the bf, we rent privately but we have reallllly skinny wheelie bins :shock:! Someone mentioned we could ask for the standard size ones. I have noticed some people on the road have 'normal' size bins and not the skinny minnies we have been given :lol:

I am trying desperately to reduce our own waste, but as we've just moved in theres a lot of rubbish about haha! The Duchess, I like the idea of separating the poop from the paper, do you then put the poop in a compost heap? Glad to hear I'm not the only one with rabbits that poo for England! :lol:

People who can take their waste to the tip are soooo lucky. We have to separate our paper from our hay, paper goes in black bags and in ours and 3 neighbours bins every fortnight. The hay waste goes to an elderly man down the road for his huge allotments. He is 78 now and once he has to give them up I don;t know what we will do as have no other way of disposing of it. :(

We have a garden waste wheelie bin which is collected from our house every fortnight but im almost filling it each week...I keep pushing all the hay down with the broom to squeeze more in!!

Same, I fill both my garden waste bins up with waste from the buns/piggies:wave:

Its just me and the bf, we rent privately but we have reallllly skinny wheelie bins :shock:! Someone mentioned we could ask for the standard size ones. I have noticed some people on the road have 'normal' size bins and not the skinny minnies we have been given :lol:

I am trying desperately to reduce our own waste, but as we've just moved in theres a lot of rubbish about haha! The Duchess, I like the idea of separating the poop from the paper, do you then put the poop in a compost heap? Glad to hear I'm not the only one with rabbits that poo for England! :lol:

I used to but with the amount that we have to get rid of (our rabbits and most of the rescue bunnies are prolific hay eaters and we normally have about 40-50 bunnies on site at any one time) we would be snowed under in poo in a month. So it all goes to the green waste to make compost for the community. I used to offer it up on Freecycle but the only guy who wanted it just stopped coming. Most allotment holders etc don't want it because of the grass/hay seeds in the mixture which 'contaminates' their freshly weeded earth.

We have four large compost heaps on our two allotments, one is half empty that we are using the compost from, one is full and is breaking down, one we've just filled and one we've just started filling up. :thumb:

I used to but with the amount that we have to get rid of (our rabbits and most of the rescue bunnies are prolific hay eaters and we normally have about 40-50 bunnies on site at any one time) we would be snowed under in poo in a month. So it all goes to the green waste to make compost for the community. I used to offer it up on Freecycle but the only guy who wanted it just stopped coming. Most allotment holders etc don't want it because of the grass/hay seeds in the mixture which 'contaminates' their freshly weeded earth.

Doesn't worry us, most seeds are going to be annuals anyway and these are forever needing weeding anyway. The nutrients in the composted down poo and hay is worth the hoeing which needs doing whether you add the compost or not. Plus if the seeds do grow then great! More weeds for them to eat! :lol:

We have four large compost heaps on our two allotments, one is half empty that we are using the compost from, one is full and is breaking down, one we've just filled and one we've just started filling up. :thumb:

Doesn't worry us, most seeds are going to be annuals anyway and these are forever needing weeding anyway. The nutrients in the composted down poo and hay is worth the hoeing which needs doing whether you add the compost or not. Plus if the seeds do grow then great! More weeds for them to eat! :lol:

I agree, I think bunny poo makes the best nutrient for soil but sadly it was the response I got from a few people. Our front garden used to be a gravel drive and now it's practically covered in grass from the rye seeds that fall out of the bales of hay - lovely for the bunnies to eat fresh :)

I agree, I think bunny poo makes the best nutrient for soil but sadly it was the response I got from a few people. Our front garden used to be a gravel drive and now it's practically covered in grass from the rye seeds that fall out of the bales of hay - lovely for the bunnies to eat fresh :)

It's a shame, they are missing out. :(

I take a car load of black bags to the tip every other week. It's OK in the summer but at this time of year they close at 4.00 pm so I struggle to find time to go because of work. I thought I would go first thing when they open at 8.00 am before I go to work but there was a huge queue then - it was like a weekend:(

I find it difficult to get rid of bunny and cat waste. I only fill one black bag a fortnight for my own rubbish - the rest is from the animals.

Ours goes in the brown bin with garden and food waste. I was filling more than one a fortnight and phoned the council, explained about the rabbits and a new one arrived within 48hours. It is the best thing the council has ever done for me.:lol: I can now cope with waste from up to eight rabbits which I need from time to time depending on fosters.

Back