• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying Poppy?

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
We are going to the vets with Leo on Wednesday and I am going to ask about having Poppy spayed after Christmas. She will be 5 next May. When we had her I was 15 and no matter how much I pushed to get her spayed my mom and dad wouldn't pay so now I'm worried she will either die from cancer or die under GA :cry:

She is a dental bunny. And sneezes because of her teeth (not snuffles as I first thought), and a slight allergy to the dust/fur in the room.

Would it be safe? :( I trust our vet (each of them) with all of the bunnies. They are fab, but the thought of losing Popstar at all scares me :( I'm scared she will stop eating after a spay and we wouldn't be able to syringe feeding her because of the stitches, and if she stops eating then her teeth would get bad again :( she has managed to keep her teeth to a perfect length since her first dental in April and I don't want to see her a bag of bones and grumbly tummy again :(

Aaaaarghghgghhhh... I just want her to be around as long as possible :( and bond her with Leo, she wants a bunny friend :( the hoomin' friends she has aren't as good lol :)

Do you think she will be okay? :? Or any experience of an older girl being spayed?

387490_2711139578167_1247194459_33101717_1534485770_n.jpg

I would talk with the Vet about getting a pre op blood test run to check her kidney and liver function. I have had Does of 5-6 spayed before and all came through the op well and made a full recovery. The oldest Doe I have had spayed was actually 11, but her's was an emergency spay for a pyometra (womb infection) Despite already being very ill and extremely elderly she sailed through the op' and lived a happy life for another 2 years- to be 13 :)

I would talk with the Vet about getting a pre op blood test run to check her kidney and liver function. I have had Does of 5-6 spayed before and all came through the op well and made a full recovery. The oldest Doe I have had spayed was actually 11, but her's was an emergency spay for a pyometra (womb infection) Despite already being very ill and extremely elderly she sailed through the op' and lived a happy life for another 2 years- to be 13 :)

Oh god thank you for that :wave: I couldn't remember reading on here about older does being spayed. I wanted to take her for a check up soon anyway so I'll talk in depth with the while she's there :) just want to get it done and hope she eats :? but knowing Poppy she likes to make things difficult :roll: :lol:

Oh god thank you for that :wave: I couldn't remember reading on here about older does being spayed. I wanted to take her for a check up soon anyway so I'll talk in depth with the while she's there :) just want to get it done and hope she eats :? but knowing Poppy she likes to make things difficult :roll: :lol:

Chat with the Vet re all your concerns, including her post op' eating. The Vet may feel that keeping her in overnight for nursing care including syringe feeds and additional fluid therapy may be beneficial. She should not really be discharged home til she has started eating and pooing :)

Chat with the Vet re all your concerns, including her post op' eating. The Vet may feel that keeping her in overnight for nursing care including syringe feeds and additional fluid therapy may be beneficial. She should not really be discharged home til she has started eating and pooing :)

I thought that but I have never had a girly spayed before :) only Donny has been neutered, Lola isn't old enough yet (for my vet anyway, she is 6 months but they do them at 8 months so she is a little blighter right now :lol: she has always been a feisty madam though :lol:) Leo is also 4 years old and we are having him neutered soon, I'm not so worried about neuters because I've been through one, it's just the thought of a spay :shock: But I'll take another list to the vet with me when we go :lol::thumb:

Back