• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New home - Many Questions

Mariac1510

Young Bun
I have just bought a new wooden playhouse, I am so excited to get it all sorted for my two fur bums to move in :D

What is the best thing to cover the floor with?

I want to connect my run to to it so they can have a nice big space, where can i buy the black tunneling from as i think this will be the best way to connect.

Any other tips to make it a bunny palace would be most greatful.

:wave: When I had a wendy house with attached run, we just attached the run and had a lockable cat flap that connected them.

Electric to the sheds are always handy but you could maybe opt for a solar light if you don't have electric to it.

Some people put lino down or rubber matting on the floor.

You can also insulate it with the silver foil stuff and staple it (making sure bunnies can't get to it to nibble) so maybe put thin ply over it.

Of course, we will need to see photos ;)

I'm about to put lino down in my shed. Just put something like that dowling stuff over the edges to stop chewing.

I am wanting to buy some of them JML lights - they stick on and you press them to turn on - battery powered. Will be much easier than connecting the electrics.

Not sure on the piping, but I'm sure someone will be along!

Can't wait to see pics!

Wow, quick replys, thanks everyone. I didn't even think of lights so they have been added to my list :)

I hope to buy some deep shelves and put ladders to them so they have some other levels to play on. I am lucky enough that my husband works for an insulation company so it will be fully kitted out.

Do you think a playhouse is warmer than a hutch? I was hoping that it will be far less drafty. I am rather worried about them over the colder months. I have just bought them a snuggle safe too.

I think a play house is warmer because not as draughty.

Mine has a small hutch in as well for extra protection and warmth if they need it. I'm about to buy some stray to stuff it with as well to keep them extra cosy in case. (the hutch not the shed!)

Haha - just noticed in your original post you put 'my fluffy bums' :lol: funny!!

Paired bunnies often snuggle up together to keep toasty warm. Pop in a few fleece blankets as well if they won't be tempted to nibble at them!

Wow, quick replys, thanks everyone. I didn't even think of lights so they have been added to my list :)

I hope to buy some deep shelves and put ladders to them so they have some other levels to play on. I am lucky enough that my husband works for an insulation company so it will be fully kitted out.

Do you think a playhouse is warmer than a hutch? I was hoping that it will be far less drafty. I am rather worried about them over the colder months. I have just bought them a snuggle safe too.

Rabbits are surprisingly good at coping with outdoor temperatures providing they have their winter coats :) A cardboard box stuffed with hay works well as a good hide that they can snuggle in and the hay works as an insulator to keep them cosy.

Haha - just noticed in your original post you put 'my fluffy bums' :lol: funny!!

Paired bunnies often snuggle up together to keep toasty warm. Pop in a few fleece blankets as well if they won't be tempted to nibble at them!

Lol yes they are my fluffy bums :D They are very good at snuggling. My little boy loves Bluebell very much and always sunggles her, she is a huge hairy fluff ball.

Nibbling wont worry me, it's the poop. Bluebell poo's everywhere, she a smelly fluffy bum :shock:

Lino would probably be the best to cover the floor :) It's cheap and it isn't that slippery for the rabbits.
Playhouses will be a lot warmer then your average hutch simply because of the wind factor :) Wind and draughts can lower temps dramatically sometimes. So as long as it is insulated, got a buddy to snuggle with, some blankets and hay then they should be lovely and cozy :D

Looks like you're getting some great advice already :thumb:

May I ask if your girl is speyed? Apart from the health benefits (for girls), this may improve the 'poo's everywhere' situation....! That said - it's not guaranteed :roll::lol: Do you use a litter bowl?

Looks like you're getting some great advice already :thumb:

May I ask if your girl is speyed? Apart from the health benefits (for girls), this may improve the 'poo's everywhere' situation....! That said - it's not guaranteed :roll::lol: Do you use a litter bowl?

Hi yes, they are both done. Our little girl was already spayed when we rescued her. We have had her about a year now and she still poo's everywhere. I tired a little corner tray but she kept turning upside down. I was hoping when they get the play house i can put a bigger litter tray in there and she might find that better.

Hi yes, they are both done. Our little girl was already spayed when we rescued her. We have had her about a year now and she still poo's everywhere. I tired a little corner tray but she kept turning upside down. I was hoping when they get the play house i can put a bigger litter tray in there and she might find that better.

An underbed storage box or a plastic dog bed works well - I have both & they are well used ;) Line with newspaper & fill with hay. Don't put hay anywhere else though or they will get confused :lol:

Back