• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much extra space for 2 rabbits indoors?

NexivRed

Young Bun
If a giant breed of rabbit has free run of a bunny proofed (to a certain extent) 25'x12' area 24/7, is this also big enough if there were 2 of them? What are the recommended "rules" when you start doubling up your bunnies with regards to enclosed spaces and exercise spaces?
Also, if it wasn't too cold could indoor rabbits be put outside at night time in a secured run+hutch/house type scenario?

Just looking into all possibilities for housing bunnies.

Really single rabbits should be in double rabbit accommodation, if that makes sense. 25 by 12 sounds like a great space but I don't really know that much about giant rabbits so I'm possibly not the best person to comment.

No-one else got any advice? :(
I was previously going to adopt just the one house rabbit, but I'm trying to find out if I have the room for two and what I need to provide for them in the way of space. I have indoor space and outdoor space, including a 12'x3'x6' (currently) enclosed cattery, a 6'x4' shed which currently houses bikes but has been part of the cattery before and we could look into alternative bike storage. Currently these things are being used, but I can be flexible. I don't want to adopt a rabbit and for it to be miserable.

Also, could someone experienced let me know which types of rabbit accommodations that are on the market advertised for rabbits, are not actually suitable? Plastic playhouses for example, or fabric pens.

There is a lot of info and pictures of various people's setups on here in the stickies. Not sure if you've seen them. Admittedly most are for smaller bunnies but they will give you ideas. The links are in my signature :)

If you was thinking of adopting then the rescue is the best people to ask as they may well have a minimum space that they would rehome to.

In the summer being inside in the day and out at night would be okay, but in the autumn and winter it is too big a temperature difference for buns used to heated houses to go outside at all.

Basically all commercial 'rabbit' accommodation is going to be unsuitable, most is unsuitable for small rabbits, but I havent seen anything I would put a giant in. You could get a hutch or similar, but you'd probably have to have it made to your specifications, which actually isnt as expensive as you'd think sometimes. Rabbit accommodation should be long enough for them to take 3-4 hops, which is around 6-7foot for an average size rabbit, and deep enough for them to lie out straight accross the depth of the hutch, and tall enough so they can periscope with their ears erect comfortably without hitting the ceiling. So as you can see, most 'rabbit' accomodation wont fit the bill for a giant.

I agree that 25x12 is a good amount of space, but I dont have a giant either. I have a large bun though, a healthy weight for him would be around 3.6kg and he was happier in my old house, I think he had about 16x12, cant quite remember the size, he has smaller now. He definately used all that space, it was a brilliant size for him.

As for single buns, I think they should be allowed the same space as a pair, but once you go above a pair you do have to start increasing the space a lot, although its not as simple as 'each bunny needs so and so square feet'. Think of it like goldfish, a single goldfish should have minimum 20 gallons of water, but you can have four in a 50 gallon :)

There is a lot of info and pictures of various people's setups on here in the stickies. Not sure if you've seen them. Admittedly most are for smaller bunnies but they will give you ideas. The links are in my signature :)
Yeah, I've looked through both the picture threads with regards to the stickies, and have read and looked at as much as I can on the subject. Those pictures don't really answer my questions though.

As an inexperienced rabbit owner reading this forum, it seems one of the things most suggested by rabbit owners is to have them in pairs so they can bond. I'm just asking advice on whether I've got enough space for two giant rabbits in your opinions, and find it a bit weird after 40 odd views I've not actually had any advice. I'm trying to do right by the rabbit.

Last edited:
In the summer being inside in the day and out at night would be okay, but in the autumn and winter it is too big a temperature difference for buns used to heated houses to go outside at all.

Basically all commercial 'rabbit' accommodation is going to be unsuitable, most is unsuitable for small rabbits, but I havent seen anything I would put a giant in. You could get a hutch or similar, but you'd probably have to have it made to your specifications, which actually isnt as expensive as you'd think sometimes. Rabbit accommodation should be long enough for them to take 3-4 hops, which is around 6-7foot for an average size rabbit, and deep enough for them to lie out straight accross the depth of the hutch, and tall enough so they can periscope with their ears erect comfortably without hitting the ceiling. So as you can see, most 'rabbit' accomodation wont fit the bill for a giant.

I agree that 25x12 is a good amount of space, but I dont have a giant either. I have a large bun though, a healthy weight for him would be around 3.6kg and he was happier in my old house, I think he had about 16x12, cant quite remember the size, he has smaller now. He definately used all that space, it was a brilliant size for him.

As for single buns, I think they should be allowed the same space as a pair, but once you go above a pair you do have to start increasing the space a lot, although its not as simple as 'each bunny needs so and so square feet'. Think of it like goldfish, a single goldfish should have minimum 20 gallons of water, but you can have four in a 50 gallon :)
Thank you very much for the reply. I was worried I'd have to double the exercise space for two rabbits.

For outside accommodation I have been looking into using pipes and tunnels to increase the square footage around the garden because ours is quite small, especially with the cattery.

I'm still not sure what sort of "bed" I should have indoors for two large rabbits. Would a dog bed suffice? Or do they like something more cozy with a roof etc?

Thank you very much for the reply. I was worried I'd have to double the exercise space for two rabbits.

For outside accommodation I have been looking into using pipes and tunnels to increase the square footage around the garden because ours is quite small, especially with the cattery.

I'm still not sure what sort of "bed" I should have indoors for two large rabbits. Would a dog bed suffice? Or do they like something more cozy with a roof etc?

For outside you're probably best off with a shed attached to an aviary for two. Personally I would not have just one outside, if a bun had to be single they would have to be indoors so they get more company.

Indoors is normally better for giants, simply because most people dont have the garden space to give them a big enough setup, whereas if they are free-range indoors you share the space with them so they dont actually take up any real room apart from their littertray and hideyhole.

If you do want just one bunny there are the odd ones that wont bond, usually if they cant be neutered for medical reasons or if they are traumatised by a bad experience with other bunnies or defensive for some reason because of something like blindness. But they are rare, and you would have to be prepared to widen your search to nationwide and wait a long time to find one. If you want a pair, it would be best to get an already bonded pair first rather than get one then the other. The reason being is that when bonding you have to do it on neutral ground, so preferably somewhere neither bun has been before, which is tricky with a free-range house bun, and also it relies on you finding the right friend for your bun, and if you get it wrong you will have 2 singles! Although most good rescues will allow you to return the bun that didnt bond and try another, it is added stress, expense and travel for you. Also, as rescues will tell you, pairs are so much harder to rehome than singles, so you are doing a doubly good deed by taking on a pair.

I dont know about increasing square footage so cant comment on that.

As for a bed, some will use dog beds, some prefer to lie on the ground, some prefer to be enclosed. You should always provide a bolt-hole, somewhere sheltered that they can hide, as prey animals. This can be as simple as a blanket draped over a chair for cover, or a carrier with a blanket or hay inside, or you could get a tunnel - childrens play tunnels are suitable for large buns, I had 2 from argos for £15, but you have to check there are no exposed wires or sharp bits everyday if they decide to destroy them like my two did :lol: I found I couldnt bunny proof to stop them going behind my armchair as my big bun could move it enough to get behind it, so I made it into a toy and bolt-hole by putting a tunnel behind and it was their favourite place to sleep.

Dont feel bad that there are loads of views but not as many replies, it happens a lot, normally if someone is reading out of interest but doesnt have time to reply or if they simply dont know the answer. Also, say if I come back to check if you've replied to me it adds a view.

Yeah, I've looked through both the picture threads with regards to the stickies, and have read and looked at as much as I can on the subject. Those pictures don't really answer my questions though.

As an inexperienced rabbit owner reading this forum, it seems one of the things most suggested by rabbit owners is to have them in pairs so they can bond. I'm just asking advice on whether I've got enough space for two giant rabbits in your opinions, and find it a bit weird after 40 odd views I've not actually had any advice. I'm trying to do right by the rabbit.

Thing is not many of us actually have giants so we can't really say concretely how much space we would give them. If I had a giant I'd rabbit proof the house and let them have free range all the way through. I'd treat their needs like a small dog (one that doesn't need walking!) rather than a rabbit. I'd say if you have a big enough space for one, then that's probably going to be enough for two.

Back