• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Life expectency of a lionhead cross?

ferretfreak4

Warren Scout
Hi, my rabbit Bracken is coming upto 5 years old now and is still a youngster at heart, i was wondering what a lionheads average life expectency was?

His friend dies last last November when she was 5 years old, i now have another bonded pair and i would like to put him with them, but it would mean getting him neutered, is he too old to be neutered safely?

thanks

Not too old necessarily, but only a rabbit savvy vet can make an educated decision upon that fact. Discuss it with a vet as to if he's too old. I personally wouldnt' say he was, unless he has any underlying health issues.

Cross' have random life expectancy, as you dont know what is made from the two parents. Anything from 5-12 years could be an answer unfortunately.

If he's still young and spritely, be happy :)

It very much depends on the rabbit and their general health but anywhere up to ten years is possible

thanks very much, will have to speak to my vet then, but he does seem very healthy at the moment and when he is in the run he hops all over the place :D

Lily - that is very sad, i hate it when animals die before their time :cry:

thanks very much, will have to speak to my vet then, but he does seem very healthy at the moment and when he is in the run he hops all over the place :D

Lily - that is very sad, i hate it when animals die before their time :cry:

I find it very sad especially as he was rescued from horrible conditions and only enjoyed a lovely life with us for about 18 months :cry:

I lost my lionhead Mia earlier this year at the age of eight and a half - however her sister Santa died in 2004 before she was two years old (following a number of dentals :cry:)

Back