• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay questions? Help please!!

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave: Im starting to fret as P&D go in tomorow morning for their spays. I have arranged for them to stay overnight at the vets as I was worried about them being outside straight after their spays and I dont have any means of them being indoors here however also Im feeling a little worried about having to give medication etc but Im starting to panic and im thinking of buying a dog crate and keeping them in for a couple of nights. But i need some advice!

The only room I can put them in is the living room (I dont have a dining room where I can switch the heating off, I dont have a garage or conservatory or utlity) so the only room that they could go into is the living room which is a fairly warm room. Would it be worse for me to keep them in for a few days if its warm indoors? then i would be worried about putting them back outside into the cold?

Please help, im really worried, im got myself into a complete pickle! :( Also if i do get a dog crate which size is best? keeping in mind that its only for occasional use and they live outside in their hutch all the rest of the time.

I need to pack their bag ready for their overnight stay, they are being put into the same 'kennel' afterwards so will have each other but I need to pack them some hay and food.

So would i be better putting them straight back in their hutch when they come home (24hrs post spay at least) or keeping them indoors and hoping they are ok when i put them back out? I have snugglesafes and plenty of bedding to keep them warm.

Last edited:
Hi there,:wave:

personally, I would prefer to put my buns back to familiar surroundings after vet visits as it can get stressful and i dont want to put them in a new environment which might stress them further. If its outside and you are afraid of the cold etc, maybe try adding a bit more hay and bedding to ensure warmth and check on them regularly that they are ok. Also, you can try adding a hot water bottle to keep them warm - just be careful that its not TOO hot!

Apart from that, pain relief is really important and some good hours of rest :) Oh, and make sure they eat a little and poo a little in the first 24 hours.

They will be fine im sure! All the best!! Sending peaceful, happy vibes to you! :D

I would suggest bringing them home afterwards. After such an operation they need to be in calm, familiar surroundings. When my Rosie was done I bought a large pet carrier and kept her inside for a couple of days. I would let her have a walk around each day but nothing too much that might cause harm to her wound. Keep them on towel, fleece, vet bed, something that is gentle so that it doesn't irritate the wound. What might be a good idea is to buy a play pen. That way you can make it into a shape that fits your space.
Keep them calm, comfy and quiet and make sure they eat and drink as soon as possible. Once they pick up after a few days and your sure their wounds are healing well put them outside during the warmest part of the day. Give them a few blankets to keep warm and comfy and it will help them get used to being outside again. Keep checking up on the wounds
That's what I did and it went smoothly :) Good luck x

:wave: Im starting to fret as P&D go in tomorow morning for their spays. I have arranged for them to stay overnight at the vets as I was worried about them being outside straight after their spays and I dont have any means of them being indoors here however also Im feeling a little worried about having to give medication etc but Im starting to panic and im thinking of buying a dog crate and keeping them in for a couple of nights. But i need some advice!

The only room I can put them in is the living room (I dont have a dining room where I can switch the heating off, I dont have a garage or conservatory or utlity) so the only room that they could go into is the living room which is a fairly warm room. Would it be worse for me to keep them in for a few days if its warm indoors? then i would be worried about putting them back outside into the cold?

Please help, im really worried, im got myself into a complete pickle! :( Also if i do get a dog crate which size is best? keeping in mind that its only for occasional use and they live outside in their hutch all the rest of the time.

I need to pack their bag ready for their overnight stay, they are being put into the same 'kennel' afterwards so will have each other but I need to pack them some hay and food.

So would i be better putting them straight back in their hutch when they come home (24hrs post spay at least) or keeping them indoors and hoping they are ok when i put them back out? I have snugglesafes and plenty of bedding to keep them warm.

If you decide to bring them home then they do need to be kept inside or somewhere warm the first night as they will struggle to regulate their temperature after the GA. It's a bit difficult this time of year but one night indoors and then the next few nights a lot of extra hay and a snugglesafe or two and vigilance should be ok.

If you get a dog crate I wouldn't worry about getting a big one, you want to restrict their movement a bit anyway as you don't want them stretching the wound. Both of my girls were in a basic indoor cage after their spays for a few days. :)

Have you spoken to your vet about at home pain relief? That's quite important as if they are in pain they may stop eating and they may possibly pull at the wound and make it worse.

Back