• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The amount of hay I get through HELP!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
:wave:

At the moment, I'm getting through around 10kg of hay EVERY WEEK for only 2 bunnies. Its all because of Molly's sore hocks. I make the flooring very thick and because they are not totally litter trained (they won't go in a litter tray but they do go in specific spots), it means that they poo and wee on the hay so I chuck a lot out too. Their hutch bedroom is completely cleaned and replaced daily, with about 1kg of hay going in there every night. Also the run, because they eat the hay as well as walk on it, it disappears so quickly, so about 1kg of hay goes in there every day too. Its costing me £60 a month to buy the hay from Hay 4 Pets. Its the most economical hay I have found online (apart from farm bales, but I don't have any farms or stables nearby that have hay available). But it is still mighty expensive, and I'm constantly re-ordering from them.

I want to keep the environment ultra-clean because of her sore hocks, however could I be going over the top? Could I maybe sift out poos and dirty hay and keep some back? I don't know. If I make the flooring thinner or if I accidentally leave behind some dirty hay, you'll guarantee she'll sit in it, or she'll sit on a hard patch and her hocks will flare up again. Her hocks seem to be good right now and I want to prevent flare-ups wherever I can.

IMO one can never have too much hay.I use loads too.....2 disabled buns who dont eat much hay and 2 fluffballs who do!!
Keep at it!! I dont want to see a sore hock thread from you!!:wave::D

Can you buy a bale locally? even if thats just for the florring? I got a bale yesterday from a local farm and its aroound 30kg and cost me £4.50!! They are eating it too but I have ordered some thimothy from hay4pets aswell to supplement but thats ALOT of hay for £4.50!!

Sorry I just read again and realised you dont have any locally :( thats a shame. I could get a bale for you and courier it? it would still work out fairly cheap!

Crikey its probably worth travelling a bit to buy a couple of bales from a farm. Would they eat straw if you used that instead and just put hay in their racks?

Would flooring the run with foam matting mean you could use less hay? They are £2 for a 60x60cm mat. I haven't got any sore hock buns at the moment but they helped the one I did have.

thanks for your ideas guys.

Vita: thanks for the suggestion. the hay works out about the same as I pay now. £1.60 per kg including delivery.

megasmummy: thanks for the kind offer. How soft is the hay? That is cheap for 30kg of hay. I'll PM you.

webble: straw irritates her hocks, makes them red and sore. Only the softest hay for my baby. :love: Hay 4 Pets Soft Meadow Hay is the softest hay I have come across.

aliduncan1: we tried foam matting. it just irritated her hocks. we still have it underneath the hay to provide cushioning and prevent rainwater rising up through the hay. (I asked for foam matting on the top of the rabbit box because it provides cushioning and I put hay on top of that to protect her hocks). :)

Back