• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sudden allergy: HELP!!!

shell1805

Mama Doe
about 2 weeks ago my asthma came back with a vengence. it hasnt been this bad since my teens and though i have it under control i get very wheezy very easily. it's jasper :( his moulting bad at the moment and every time i am near him for a long period of time my asthma kicks off :(

what can i do to limit this? other than spending no time with him (which is not an option as i am the only person he trusts! :()

my OH is brushing him every day to get rid of the loose hair but if anything this makes things worse (and he gets so stressed)....

any suggestions would be great... i just want to be able to breathe properly again :(

xxx

about 2 weeks ago my asthma came back with a vengence. it hasnt been this bad since my teens and though i have it under control i get very wheezy very easily. it's jasper :( his moulting bad at the moment and every time i am near him for a long period of time my asthma kicks off :(

what can i do to limit this? other than spending no time with him (which is not an option as i am the only person he trusts! :()

my OH is brushing him every day to get rid of the loose hair but if anything this makes things worse (and he gets so stressed)....

any suggestions would be great... i just want to be able to breathe properly again :(

xxx

Sorry, don't have any ideas, but hope Jasper's moult doesn't last too long. Maybe you could try an allergy post in General Chat as well as here. :wave:

Ive found that some hay has made me really suffer...so much so that I know I will be all wheezy after feeding them:cry: but I have a pump which I can use..perhaps it might help you whilst he is moulting? Also- use a mask when cleaning them out etc to help stop you breathing in all the bits.

Its aweful isnt it:?....Im ok at the moment...but its aweful when it happens....hope this helps abit...oh - also if Jasper hates being brushed...perhaps some days you can get OH to wet his hands and gently rub Jasper all over...the wet hands catches the loose fur...obviously not as effective as brushing, but might enable Jasper to feel abit easier about your OH.:?;)

Mine has been really bad the last couple of weeks. I've been wheezing a lot. And keep getting a runny nose/itchy eyes. But Hopscotch isn't moulting, I think it's the hay. It seems to be worse when I've been rummaging around in it! Maybe your OH can be in charge of throwing old hay out and putting new hay in so it's not floating around in the air when you're about? And see if that makes any difference?

I would take some antihistamines :wave:

And try to avoid him getting near your face, make sure you hoover lots to get the fur out of the house etc etc

I've never had asthma in my life but in the past few months I've been struggling to breathe...especially on a night. My bunnies are in my bedroom and my nurse told me to move them because she thinks its the bun's fur setting it off. Steroids didn't agree with me and so they put me on a circular, greeny coloured inhaler, which apparently does the same thing as the blue inhaler but lasts longer. This has helped me a lot but I seem to be allergic to the hay so I tend to sneeze continuously for about 10 mins and then get a blocked nose.
TBH I just get through it. The inhaler has stopped me feeling so breathless but I just deal with sneezing and having a blocked nose with the hay.

I know I look absolutely ridiculous but I wear a dust mask, the type you use when doing DIY, whenever I'm dealing with their hay. When I first had the buns it didn't bother me too much but this latest batch of hay really seems to set me off. The buns are not bothered by the mask where as they seem to find my sneezing utterly offensive.

well...Im glad Im not the only who suffers...:roll::cry::lol:...but a mask and pump do help when its bad...and Ive also found that some hays effect me more than others....I threw a whole bales away earlier this year cause it made me wheeze like crazy and i got bumps/rash all over my arms!:shock::roll: I know that some people put vaseline or lip balm on their noses - so any dust particles get stuck there and dont go into your nose...and then wipe it off later...might help..not sure;)

Aw sorry you are having trouble :( No advice but I hope you find something and feel better soon xxxxxx

I think there are things you can buy that look like dehumidifiers designed to take bits of pet fur out of the air?

Antihistamines. My buns bother me if my asthma has already been triggered, but I can get away with being with them if it's controlled:D

Is there anything else that might be combining with it to set you off? I normally have no problems with the bunnies and the hay but one summer when we were decorating I had about a fortnight of every evening a bad coughing fit followed by wheezing and difficulty breathing. Turns out the paint fumes combined with the hay sent me into asthma attacks.

Have you had the heating on lately?Your asthma could be the result of house dust mites getting more active.Could you ask your Doctor to refer you to a dermatologist for allergy testing?

My friend used to get asthma when her rabbit moulted. In the end I took him in - and hes the one who started off my love of rabbits :roll:

:wave:massive thank you to everyone of you guys that has offered advice :)

it is definately jasper that is causing the asthma as if i stay away from him im fine. im fine when im with bella too, she has velvity fur where as jasper is all fluff. that wooly type of fur :? my OH has taken over doing the hay as at first i thought it may have been that. i have an inhaler and it works but its at night that im really suffering, im waking up in the middle of the night wheezing :(

i suggested the wet hand and rubbing jasper.... neither of them liked that :lol: poor jasper lept onto my lap and hid his head bless him (did not help my breathing one bit :roll:)

im going to start taking antihistamines as well as my inhaler and hopefully i can get a better handle on things :)

xxx

:wave:massive thank you to everyone of you guys that has offered advice :)

it is definately jasper that is causing the asthma as if i stay away from him im fine. im fine when im with bella too, she has velvity fur where as jasper is all fluff. that wooly type of fur :? my OH has taken over doing the hay as at first i thought it may have been that. i have an inhaler and it works but its at night that im really suffering, im waking up in the middle of the night wheezing :(

i suggested the wet hand and rubbing jasper.... neither of them liked that :lol: poor jasper lept onto my lap and hid his head bless him (did not help my breathing one bit :roll:)

im going to start taking antihistamines as well as my inhaler and hopefully i can get a better handle on things :)

xxx

:oops::lol:eek:h no! sorry! Mine did wonder at first what I was doing....it all started out as cooling the down in the summer and works great at fur removal too...bless Jasper...thinking what the heck!:lol::love: Sorry it didnt help you. Hope you can get it sorted ...aweful when you cant breather...try sleeping sitting up abit too when its bad...less pressure on your chest and enables yu to breather a little easier...plumped up pillows....:)

Back