• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

epsom salt and soaking a rabbits foot?

holder

Alpha Buck
I have been told to soak, Pepe's foot in epsom salt for a few days. I have never heard of this at all and do not want to rule it out in case it does work.
I have posted before that, Pepe, one morning was holding his leg up and couldn't put his paw to the floor. It is now going onto 2 months. He had x rays and three vets look at him. They cannot find anything wrong. All they can do is give pain killer. He cannot take Metacam & he had a reaction to Rimifin. When he has a pain killer he stops eating and pooping straight away and takes nearly a week to get back eating. I am at my wits end and don't know what to do any more. I am syringe feeding again and I have tried every food there is. He is losing weight again and all the vet wants to do is blood test, scans and drips. They did this with Candy and I knew it was her kidneys and they did blood test, heart and stomach scans and said they didn't know what it was until they did the test test three days later and her kidney test was very high and she went on the drip and had blood test for the next two days and then I lost her. I don't trust vets any more and I know that sounds bad but they can't find what is wrong. I know he must of jumped of his box and landed on his leg in a bad way.

Now I have been told to soak his paw in epsom salts. Anyone tried this?

Humans use epsom salts for soaking their feet, to relieve aches and pains, and also to increase their magnesium levels, as epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. I've not heard of this for rabbits or any other animals though.

Thank you for replying. Pepe as already had two bleed test done this year and nothing showed up. It is his front left leg and I thought it might be a ligament problem. They haven't mentioned EC at all. I will look it up now. Thanks again.

Sorry I forgot to add, When this happened, myself and the vet could touch all around his leg and he didn't mind that at all but when I got back home with him, I felt all around his leg but when I touched his nail at the end of his paw he nearly jumped out of my arms. That is where the pain is. I took him back to the vets and told him and he did the same again.

Last edited:
Back