• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cleaning dirty bunny!

KirstiRobinson

Warren Scout
Does anybody have any advice on cleaning up a sticky pooey bun?

Charlie is having problems cleaning herself up as her bum is soo runny and sooooo smelly :( atm!

Struggling to get it all off once it's dried overnight any tips?!

Poor bunny...

My Cookie has a sensitive tummy, and an occasional wash is needed. I wipe off as much as possible with fragrance-free baby wipes, then use pet shampoo and a soft baby sponge to gently wash off the last bits, before rying carefully. We have had to cut off dried bits before ~ but you'll probably need someone to help you with that.

I would take bun off any veg + fruit until tummy is well again. Just make sure she has fresh hay and clean water. How long has this been going on for? It might be worth giving your vet a call.

Poor bunny...

My Cookie has a sensitive tummy, and an occasional wash is needed. I wipe off as much as possible with fragrance-free baby wipes, then use pet shampoo and a soft baby sponge to gently wash off the last bits, before rying carefully. We have had to cut off dried bits before ~ but you'll probably need someone to help you with that.

I would take bun off any veg + fruit until tummy is well again. Just make sure she has fresh hay and clean water. How long has this been going on for? It might be worth giving your vet a call.

Thank you for advice. We have been wiping with baby wipes but it doesn't get the last bit off so will have to get some shampoo.
Unfortunately Charlie is living out her last days and she's got a lot of internal probs, she's seriously underweight but the only thing she will eat is greens and readi grass so not good for the belly :( catch 22 situation im afraid :(

Thank you for advice. We have been wiping with baby wipes but it doesn't get the last bit off so will have to get some shampoo.
Unfortunately Charlie is living out her last days and she's got a lot of internal probs, she's seriously underweight but the only thing she will eat is greens and readi grass so not good for the belly :( catch 22 situation im afraid :(

Oh, that is so sad...poor bun-bun... :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear about Cookie, sending lots of vibes.

One our rabbits, Evie had a dodgy tummy when we got her and her bottom seemed to be constantly dirty. We ended up filling our bath tub with some tepid water just deep enough that it covered her paws slightly and she would quite happily waddle up and down in the water and sit down which allowed anything suck to her to be removed. We then would wrap her in towel and gently dry her. We also used a shampoo and got some grooming wipes from pets at home.

I hope that helps

Thank you! I was thinking of putting her in the bath but i was worried about doing it she gets so frightened :( and shes so small! <cries>

I find that if there is some hard poop dried...I snuggle them up to me and they just lay there...and I use warm water and use wet fingers to gently dislodge it. I sometimes use a small towel, but find fingers are quicker and its alot easier. aaah bless her!:)

Back