• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise Please for Travelling with Bunnies!

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, :wave:

Okay I have 2 male bunnies that cannot be housed together, although they are fine side by side with a divider. I'm going to my family at Christmas for 2 nights and I do not want to leave my buns alone for that long. I don't have anyone that can check on them. We have to travel by car and ferry ride. Because of the ferry I'm worried about bad weather and us getting stuck on one side. That is another reason I want to take the bunnies with me. If I were stuck on the other side I would be freaking out.

So we are going to take them with us. And I"m nervous about it and stressing them out. One of the buns, Jack, has travelled before and has been fine. I'm more worried about Bill.

We thought instead of using travel carriers we'd use small guinea pig cages (those ones that look like glorified litter boxes) so they have a bit more room while travelling. Once we get to my Mom's I wanted to set up a pen for them. Of course, I have to figure this out as I would have to divide it or have two pens. My boys are not used to been caged. They have free run of the large workshop in our backyard. And also, run around our backyard supervised.

so they are used to a lot of space. I'm worried they are going to get really upset.

Does anyone have any ideas for 1.) Travelling with bunnies
and 2.) how to set up their area once we arrive.

The trip will take about 2.5 hours approx.

Thanks! :wave:

Get them gradually used to it, put the carrier in the run so it becomes familiar, sit them in the carrier for short periods of time and return them to their hutch/run straight after so again it becomes familiar, then start with very short car journeys, again returning them to the hutch run straight after. For the actual journey, if you must have the radio on keep it as quiet as possible or change the speaker settings so it only plays in the front. When mine went on a long journey I covered the carrier in black sugar paper (only taped along the top so there was plenty of ventilation) but so it's dark and they feel secure.

Once there I'd try make it as familiar as possible (toys etc) and leave them too it for a while

I don't actually have any good advice for you as I have only traveled with one bunny. He was use to traveling and love it. I didn't use any thing to put him in. He just sat on the seat between me and hubby or on like lap. He also liked to just hop the back seat. I brought his bowls and litter box. He free ranged my mom's house fine. I just blocked off his access to wires and wires and watched him. When he did stay overnight I brought his cage for him to sleep in but he loved sleeping on the couch too. I am sure that others have traveled with buns. I mainly wanted to bump this up for you.h

Hi,

I travel with my two buns down to Cornwall every couple of months and it usually takes around seven hours in the car!
The only advice i can give is that it is apparently better that they dont have too much room so that they can't get thrown about so you might want to just stick with their normal carriers? I have a metal playpen that i use to create temp living space when we go down there, if you get an xl one you should have enough pieces to make 2 reasonable sized living quarters.

Then i just make sure i take all of their normal toys, chews etc so they have familiar smells, maybe you could put a blanket in their living space before you go and take that with you so it smells of home when you get there?

I also just put some hay in the back of their carriers to munch on :)

Good luck sure it will be just fine :)

Thanks for the awesome advice! I will do a "mock" car ride soon to see how it goes. That is a good idea. Plus, it will help to work out any glitches.
Now just have to find a large pen!

Back