• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting

Fluffybunny

Warren Scout
Hi guys - wasn't sure where to put this as it's not really a health issue but still need a bit of advice!
I've got 3 rabbits living outside (in the 'rabbit shed'!), 2 of whom are 8/9 years old now, but last year I got a new rabbit, Polo who is now 1.5 years. At first she was a house rabbit but got a little hormonal and decided she wanted to destroy everything! So in the height of summer (when we thought the night time temperature was the best for her) we moved her out into a 2 storey mansion in the rabbit shed.
The problem comes with her coat - the 2 old boys had the biggest moult around a month ago (and I'm still brushing their back ends, they've got a little 'skirt' going on) as did a few rabbits a friend owns, so I know the time has been and gone for moulting into their winter plumage! Polo on the other hand still has never moulted since we put her outside in July, and has a very thin 'house' coat still. Bit worried for her now since we're getting frosts and although they're in a shed I'm sure it will be dropping below freezing very shortly.
Is this dangerous for her? What can we do about it - if anything? Anyone else's rabbits not moulted yet?
Thanks for any suggestions.

I scrolled past your sig pic and thought at first glance those were bunny slippers - but they're real, fluffy little round babies. They are adorable :love: Cute overload.

Was also interested in the topic as had been wondering if indoor rabbits moult when the heating is put on for the winter.

I have no idea, sorry, however I'm so glad I read your post as scrolling down I saw your incredibly gorgeous trio! I thought they were hamsters or guinea pigs they're so small :shock: :oops: :lol:! Absolutely cute :love: I want one!! :lol:

She's a dwarf lop like the other 2 so not too thin coated! It's strange as she's never moulted since she was 8 weeks old, I was expecting a moult as soon as she was put outside but mid-November and it's starting to worry me! Does she need fetching back inside if she doesn't get her winter coat by the time it's dropping below freezing?

Back