• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold patio

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
I m assuming my two are finding the patio a tad cold, as spudsey spreads the hay out evenly across the floor which started off in the bedroom...now empty. Thinking of putting something over the floor like carpet perhaps but my run isn t protected against rain etc so it will get saturated. Any ideas ?

my buns like the hay carpet look. downstairs bunnies see it as a useful disguise for secret toileting :evil: but upstairs bunnies just seem to think it looks nice!

I have been thinking the same thing...I have tarp over the run but it would still get wet i think :? We have a double hutch and the upstairs landing is covered with straw and then hay on top but the downstairs is just bare wood and I have noticed yesterday and today they have spent more and more time upstairs watching out...but they have still be down in the run from time to time drinking/munching/grooming etc but just not as much. I also put a big underbed storage box in the run (as a litter tray) but as its nice and deep and full of hay they both seem to snuggle in there munching aswel :)

my buns like the hay carpet look. downstairs bunnies see it as a useful disguise for secret toileting :evil: but upstairs bunnies just seem to think it looks nice!
:) crafty bunnies! The 'hay carpet' look is quite attractive when dry and untouched, but i ve just had a major clean out and wet hay with sneaky poo s is a right eye sore ! Can t beleive how much hay wastage there is too ! Well, i have given them part of a hay carpet tonight and stuck a few piles in the favourite seating areas to see how that works !

I think if you put down any sort of soft type flooring such as carpeting that it will be colder once it gets wet. Also it might trap mold. I would just put lots of warm snuggle boxes filled with hay or fleece blankets something that you can easily move or clean and a replace if it rains. One idea is a big snuggle fleece blanket thrown over the cold floor. You can throw it in the wash when it gets wet or dirty.

I have been thinking the same thing...I have tarp over the run but it would still get wet i think :? We have a double hutch and the upstairs landing is covered with straw and then hay on top but the downstairs is just bare wood and I have noticed yesterday and today they have spent more and more time upstairs watching out...but they have still be down in the run from time to time drinking/munching/grooming etc but just not as much. I also put a big underbed storage box in the run (as a litter tray) but as its nice and deep and full of hay they both seem to snuggle in there munching aswel :)
i need to get a proper cover i think... I do put perspex on top but its rubbish!

Thanks, i had seen corrugated plastic mentioned before, will look into it. I usually bring empty photo copy boxes home from work and fill with hay, they work ok and there is no shortage of them! A few cheap fleece s might be a good idea too thank you !

Thanks, i had seen corrugated plastic mentioned before, will look into it. I usually bring empty photo copy boxes home from work and fill with hay, they work ok and there is no shortage of them! A few cheap fleece s might be a good idea too thank you !

I have correlated plastic over my runs and then clear tarp pinned to the front and they stay lovely and dry. I leave the patio floor as they can always go into the Wendy houses if they get cold.

Back